Author Topic: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?  (Read 8023 times)

frederick

Re: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2018, 07:53:52 AM »
I was told that canals are only three foot deep as the barges are only a foot in the water. Is that right.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Scipio

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »
I was told that canals are only three foot deep as the barges are only a foot in the water. Is that right.

Frederick the part of Gas St I fell in was deeper than three foot , when you're only 8or 9 it seems as though its bottomless .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2018, 01:31:28 PM »

Frederick the part of Gas St I fell in was deeper than three foot , when you're only 8or 9 it seems as though its bottomless .

They did drain part of the canal a couple of years back to plug a leak.  It was a section towards the Mailbox rather than the basin itself & I was surprised how shallow it was!

Judith,why didn't they try to save all the lovely old buildings (the outsides anyway ) instead of all the Glass monstrosities they have continued to put up and will probably knock down in the next 40 years.Someone on the council as made a lot of money out of it :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

I think they are actively doing that now.  Most of the glass buildings that are going up now are replacing the concrete buildings that replaced the Victorian/Georgian.  I think most people agree that what happened in the City centre in the 60's & 70's was terrible.

I know that there is a body that does check out the state of the older buildings.  I remember chatting to a lad who was doing a survey the once around 3 years ago.  They check on the state of buildings and make sure they are being properly maintained so that people can't try & get round planning laws by claiming they are irreparable.  They can then contact building owners to get repairs done.  Wherever possible they are trying to keep the older buildings we have still got & stop them from being knocked down & replaced.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy