Author Topic: clubs  (Read 1421 times)

blinker

clubs
« on: June 01, 2018, 09:53:54 PM »
does anyone remember the cresta club in lode lane

vamann

Re: clubs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 09:32:13 AM »
Certainly do, bit too posh for me during my youth but saw a few acts there after I married.

Scipio

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »

I never went there but I do remember the adverts for the Cresta in the Evening Mail
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

frederick

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 04:25:34 PM »
I went there most weeks with my girl friend. We found it was cheaper on a Monday night than at the weekend. Had a few steaks there and was entertained by some very good acts.     O0       Is it still there if not what is it now.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »

The Cresta Club has been mentioned a few times on the forum, if you type it up on the search box you will list the replies that mention it. I used the place regularly in the late 60's & early 70's . The meals weren't great but if you paid the extra 10 bob then you could get a halfway decent steak, and if you had enough to drink and the show was good then the meal didn't matter that much. I could never work out why it closed, because I always had to book in advance if there were more than 4 in our party, but there again that was always at weekend and I suppose they needed to fill it seven nights a week. I think it changed to a snooker hall sometime in the late 70's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

robx52

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 09:00:36 AM »
Used to be a great club, and very local. Top named acts  but as you say mediocre food as was the Cavendish and La Dolce Vita. But they were more theatres and night clubs than restarunts.They all closed around the same time. Your right Phill it did become a snooker club , but the focus was more on pool. A club chain called O'Rilleys run it now, a bit rough around the edges for me.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy