Author Topic: Roshven Terrace, Balsall Heath  (Read 3036 times)

Our Kid

Roshven Terrace, Balsall Heath
« on: June 04, 2018, 06:00:55 AM »
Any photos or information on Roshven and adjoining terraces?

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Roshven Terrace, Balsall Heath
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »
Hi Our Kid

Welcome to the forum, I knew somebody who lived on Roshven Terrace I can't give out his name as he is probably still alive, but if you are interested wait until you have made 5 posts and I will send you his name via the message system which you will have access to by then.

Roshven Terrace as you probably know has been demolished now and replaced by new housing, but Kensington Avenue is still there.

I can't find you a photo of Roshven Terrace or Roshven Road, te best I can do is these two of the junction with Taunton Road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Our Kid

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:35:08 AM »
Thanks Phil. I have been enjoying the ride on the inner circle. We used to do it often. My grandmother lived in Roshven Terrace and her mother lived just down the hill. I know it is now under the Mosque but was curious to see how the terraces varied from the back to backs. We lived in these in Edgbaston early forties.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:51:48 AM »
Hi Our Kid

I think we are talking about different Roshven Terraces, the one I am talking about was off Roshven Road which was off Taunton Road and Clifton Road, the one you are talking about I'm assuming it was off Belgrave Road?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Our Kid

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »
Hi Phil. Yes, the Roshven Terrace that I mean was off Highgate St and from memory there was at least one more row of terracees down the hill towards Gooch St. The Triangle cinema was on the corner of Gooch and Conybere Sts.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
Right, I've found the Roshven Terrace that you mention. The entrance was between 12 & 14 Highgate Street next to Highgate Terrace. You are quite right most of that side of the street consisted of back terraces.

I'm unable to find a photo of this terrace either, but I'm posting a photo of the Cements Arms looking up that side of te street, also a photo of the other side of the road and it's junction with Gooch Street and also one photo looking down Highgate Street toward Gooch Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Our Kid

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 02:58:12 AM »
Thanks again Phil. That is how I remember it although the cars were fewer and older. Family history has it that Great Grannie Woodward would send the kids down to the pub on the corner for a jug of beer.

Our Kid

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 08:56:17 AM »
Hello Phil. I have been looking at some of your earlier posts relating to Owen St. We lived there (No 22) in the early forties. I can remember walking to school up Wheeley’s Lane to Bath Row. As someone else mentions there was a bottling plant with all the bottles whizzing round. We used to sled down Creve St in the winter. We always called it Edgbaston but it seems to have had a few different names.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy