Author Topic: Starkeys Bakeries  (Read 5294 times)

Mikymouse

Starkeys Bakeries
« on: June 05, 2018, 11:35:40 AM »
Wondering if anyone has any info on Starkeys Bakeries. Just found through family tree my grandads mother was Emma Starkey belonging to the bakery family x

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Starkeys Bakeries
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »
Wondering if anyone has any info on Starkeys Bakeries. Just found through family tree my grandads mother was Emma Starkey belonging to the bakery family x

Hi Mikymouse

Welcome to the forum

Have you any further information such as dates or location, all I can find listed is Frank Starkey baker 74 Bristol Street. Number 74 was next to the Wellington pub on the corner of Bromsgrove Street. AS far as I can make out they were an old established company that were still going in the 70's when the trade directory's stopped being published.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

robx52

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 01:18:32 PM »
I could be completely wrong here, but for some reason Starkeys is ringing a bell about a baker's shop at top of Steel House lane, opposite the Queen's pub.

Scipio

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 07:40:36 PM »
I could be completely wrong here, but for some reason Starkeys is ringing a bell about a baker's shop at top of Steel House lane, opposite the Queen's pub.

What year do you reckon that was Rob ?
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »

Rob

I looked in the directory's for the 50's & 60's and there is no Starkey or bakery listed on either side of Steelhouse Lane. If you have a date I can check more exactly.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Lynda Butler

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:44:58 PM »
I think the bakey in Steelhouse Lane opposite The Queens pub - now called The Jekyl and Hyde was called Hindleys and nit Starkeys. Hope this is helpful.

robx52

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 10:18:37 PM »
Told ya, completly wrong. the year was around 1986/7, and i think Lynda's right, Hindleys.

Scipio

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 10:29:15 PM »
Told ya, completly wrong. the year was around 1986/7, and i think Lynda's right, Hindleys.

Rob the reason I asked the year , I worked on the Birmingham Post and Mail Colmore Circus 64-66 , the pub opposite was the Queens
Head or somesuch. a short way down past the job in the direction of the fire station ,there was a bakery outlet were we fetched sausage
rolls from but I'm sure that started with F sorry I cant remember the name .It looks as though you've sorted it anyway
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 11:05:34 PM »
Hindleys Patisserie & Confectioners is still on Steelhouse Lane,  they have an outlet on the frontage of Fountain Court opposite what is now the Jekyll & Hyde that was once the Queen Head.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

robx52

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 07:53:14 AM »
Thats the one Phill, Allways long queue's outside at lunch time's

Scipio

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »

Rob it came to me today while I was out on the plot , it was Firkins on the Fountain Court site during the 60's we fetched the sausage rolls from red hot and very very flaky pastry .
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy