Author Topic: Starkeys Bakeries  (Read 5295 times)

robx52

Re: Starkeys Bakeries
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 09:43:42 PM »
Must be a good pitch to last so long when everywhere else has changed.

Scipio

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 09:59:24 PM »
Must be a good pitch to last so long when everywhere else has changed.

Well don't forget there was 15 floors of the Post & Mail in those days , I'm not saying everyone from there used it . At that time big changes where taking place in that part of Birmingham , alas I don't think Firkins exist nowadays . Great rolls though
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Jacko

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 08:51:58 PM »
There's a photo of Starkeys shop in Bristol St on the Birmingham Photos and Videos board, Title of post is Bristol St, it's on page two, post #17.  Starkeys final shop was in Erdington High Street, but, closed a few years back.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 12:53:10 PM »
I see the OP never came back to us about the information that was found for him, an acknowledgement would have been nice.

Whilst looking through my photo collection looking for something else I came across this photo, it's obviously the same photo that Jacko refers to in his post, but less severely cropped and therefore we get almost the whole image of Starkeys shop. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

andy21a

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 11:46:25 PM »
You know Phil I have been racking my brains trying to remember where I used to go to Starkeys, and that photo is the clue.
I used to work at Harry Evans's shortly after leaving school (spraying underseal, lovely job!!), and that's the shop I used. Thanks for posting it  O0

Jacko

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 09:08:03 PM »
Here's an advert from St Lukes Church magazine, not very clear, listing Starkey's premises, Jack.

PYT777

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 11:13:13 PM »
Hi everyone
I’m new here so I’ve only just been able to reply to this thread, so I apologize that it’s so late!
I used to work at Starkeys Bakery late 80s, I was a relief worker there so covered all branches when someone was off sick etc. there was no Starkeys on steelhouse Lane, the ones I remember are:
Bristol Street, just doors from The Diskery record store.
There was a passage in town centre, an arcade by Pat Roach gym,  a branch there.
Erdington High St
Ivy Bush, Hagley Road
Edgbaston Shopping Centre, 5 Ways
Silver Street, Kings Heath
One by the Birmingham Evening Mail building, by Lloyd House.

They’re the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Hope this helps xx :)

Jacko

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 02:27:51 PM »
Read the addresses on the above post!!

PYT777

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 06:13:26 PM »
Read the addresses on the above post!!

I did!! Couldn’t see some of the addresses I mentioned, such as Ivy Bush, 5 Ways or by Pat Roach gym!

redennis

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2020, 07:24:07 PM »
Go to youtube and search for the video called "Birmingham Live TV - Hidden Brum (1997 / 1998)", go to 43 minutes, and see Carl Chinn, at Starkey's bakery, Bristol Street. As I recall it was a few doors down from a record shop called The Diskery.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy