Author Topic: Bristol Street Motors, Hay Mills??  (Read 2449 times)

Chubby

Re: Bristol Street Motors, Hay Mills??
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 11:28:27 PM »
The only one I can remember, was (I think) on the Coventry Road on the left hand side from city just before Muntz Street, same company but it wasn't called Bristol Street Motors, and they sold off the good but slightly cheaper cars, I think it's where I bought my Capri from in about 1980 (ish).
Firstly thank you all for the welcome and especially the answers given :)
Coastal - The showroom you've got in mind was the "Birmingham Cardrome" on the corner of Watt's Rd & the Coventry Rd in Small Heath. I remember one time in the later 70's peering longingly thru the showroom window gorping at a customized Ford Transit named "Dusty Rose" built by a Steve Stringer, I was an avid "Custom Car" magazine reader at the time :)

Chubby

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 11:33:05 PM »
Hi Chubby

Welcome to you, Bristol Street Motors was on the other side of the road and was at the rear of the service station which stood where the traffic island is now.
Thanks so much for that Phil - I am going to have to apologize big time to a mate who said BSM had a showroom in Hay Mills and I begged to differ....... Maybe I can take some comfort that he'd got the wrong side of the road!! :)

countrylad

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 05:35:55 AM »
Hello Chubby, did you ever get involved in customising in the late 70's?

I used to work with a mate in Garrison Lane, where we did a few custom jobs. I did the mechanic work and he did the art work.

vamann

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
Firstly thank you all for the welcome and especially the answers given :)
Coastal - The showroom you've got in mind was the "Birmingham Cardrome" on the corner of Watt's Rd & the Coventry Rd in Small Heath. I remember one time in the later 70's peering longingly thru the showroom window gorping at a customized Ford Transit named "Dusty Rose" built by a Steve Stringer, I was an avid "Custom Car" magazine reader at the time :)
Bought a red 1964 MGB in 1966 from Cardrome, always wondered how they got the cars in the upstairs showroom.  Best car I ever bought incidentally.

Chubby

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 10:35:31 AM »
Hello Chubby, did you ever get involved in customising in the late 70's?

I used to work with a mate in Garrison Lane, where we did a few custom jobs. I did the mechanic work and he did the art work.
Hello Coastal - Never got involved in any builds as such. I remember meeting up, on I think a Thursday night, at a pub called "Gun Makers Arm's", thou the meets got moved to a larger pub on the Stratford Rd in Shirley, the Saracens Head. After the meeting it was a "cruise" to the teawagon in town. Went down to the Chelsea cruise a few times and of course attended a few of the Custom Car shows.

Chubby

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
Bought a red 1964 MGB in 1966 from Cardrome, always wondered how they got the cars in the upstairs showroom.  Best car I ever bought incidentally.
Someone quoted on another forum that they "Seem to remember that there was a ramp inside which allowed cars to be driven up to the upper floor"  ;) 

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
When I was at Fishers and we got laid off because of a strike I used to deliver cars for B S Motors up Broad Street.And of a Saturday we used to get taken up to the Wolverhamton Rd by minibus to bring the new cars down to the showroom.Earned a few bob that way
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

countrylad

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 07:47:51 PM »
Hello Coastal - Never got involved in any builds as such. I remember meeting up, on I think a Thursday night, at a pub called "Gun Makers Arm's", thou the meets got moved to a larger pub on the Stratford Rd in Shirley, the Saracens Head. After the meeting it was a "cruise" to the teawagon in town. Went down to the Chelsea cruise a few times and of course attended a few of the Custom Car shows.
Hello Chubby, that would have been Brum Street Freaks. You are right they moved to the Saracens Head in Shirley. I was a member for a while. The other club at the time was Mid England Roadsters. You had to drive a van to be a member.

We are going off topic a bit so I will set up another thread, there may be some old Roadsters out there that could add to the history.

All the best countrylad

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy