Author Topic: Rackhams  (Read 9548 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Rackhams
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 06:30:06 PM »
You should take your crown of before you go into House of Fraser Phil,never been in there in my life sometimes shop at The Range tho and Matalan.Still got clothes I bought at Matalan4 years ago still fit.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 10:04:33 PM »
You should take your crown of before you go into House of Fraser Phil,never been in there in my life sometimes shop at The Range tho and Matalan.Still got clothes I bought at Matalan4 years ago still fit.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "take your crown of before you go into House of Fraser". All I know is that if you want good service, and you want to buy superior goods to the dross at Primark then it's one of the places to shop. Mind you, there are better things to be bought at the rag market where I have quite happily shopped in the past than you can get at Primark.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 10:16:08 PM »
So sad Phil you can't take a joke.Thoughtyou might enjoy It.Never set foot in Primark,buy most of my stuff on Ramsgate Mkt. Can't afford a lot being a pensioner

frederick

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »
As I have mentioned before the tailor Taylor & Wright that M & S use for their suits and shirts is the same tailored suits and shirts you will see at Matalan.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

JudithM

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "take your crown of before you go into House of Fraser". All I know is that if you want good service, and you want to buy superior goods to the dross at Primark then it's one of the places to shop. Mind you, there are better things to be bought at the rag market where I have quite happily shopped in the past than you can get at Primark.

Couldn't agree more. H&M are almost as bad - once bought 3 long sleeved t-shirt type tops in there, all the same size & style just different colours.  One fitted fine, one was too small & the other too big!!!

As for Rackhams being too posh for most folks, it's just not true.  I see that Edmund said in his post that he'd never been in there, maybe if he had he'd be surprised.  Yes, there are designer label clothes outlets, but some are normal priced too (I have nice suit jacket I bought there that was actually cheaper than those I'd seen in Next).  The cards & stationary there are the same prices as other places, there's a haberdashery department that I've always found very reasonable.  The lingerie department had the same prices as every other place selling the same brands (at one point it was the only place I could find reasonably priced bras my size) and the Restaurant/Café is great too.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »
Sorry Judith,I made a mistake I went into Rackhams once just after it opened in the very early 60s after watching it being built.Iwent in to look round just before xmas and bought my girlfriend the Beachboys LP as a present, that was the only time

frederick

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 03:57:07 PM »
What will the people that use the back Do now.      ;)      It would have been around 1970 when we bought the sofa table and occasional tables from Rackhams.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 04:09:34 PM »
Fred

It's been a long time since the back of Rackhams had a nefarious reputation. Does anybody know where this reputation came from, because at the times when it arose Rackhams was only a much smaller store on the corner of Bull Street and Temple Row and it's back end would have been Bradford Passage and the Old Royal Hotel.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

GardenGerald

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 05:05:35 PM »
Hello Phil
There was a pub of ill repute in the road at the back of Rackhams.
Not sure of its name.
Best wishes
Gerald.

Spud

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »
I must admit that I don't use Primark I have used Rackhams in the past in fact I was a shareholder some years ago. When i went in a few weeks ago the place resembled a Jumble Sale Racks and Racks of sale goods. As regards HOF Solihull closing all I can say watch this space
As regards Primark they are not my first port of call but their turnover is amazing the Store in Oxford St for example has a delivery every hour every day. And although they are considered to be down market by many they do have an outlet in Selfridges in Birmingham so they must appeal.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 07:05:04 PM »
Cheap goods will always have appeal and be in demand, when I was younger every Friday night straight from work my first port of call was either M & J 's on Ladypool Road in Balsall Heath or Nelson House in town.

The gear I purchased at these shops was absolute rubbish and I was lucky if it lasted a couple of months, but it was cheap and up to date rubbish. You can bet if you saw some pop star wearing something new on television during the week that by the weekend one of those two shops would have a rip off copy to sell you at a price that couldn't be beat anywhere.

Though as I got older I learned that nothing could beat quality and I strated shopping at Rackhams and Cecil Gees, that wan't counting the suits and slacks and jackets I had made by Morris Goldstein.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy