Author Topic: Rackhams  (Read 9574 times)

teepee

Re: Rackhams
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 12:01:07 AM »
It's very sad news about Rackhams. You'd think local councils would see the writing on the wall and at the very least try to arrest the decline of the High Street by lowering business rates. Surely a couple of fewer ackers in the council coffers would be preferable to empty premises or grotty cheap shops. I dread to think what's to become of that site.

Having said all that, I was never Rackhams greatest fan. It was overpriced, and quite shambolic and messy. A few years ago a friend was placed there by an agency to do warehouse/stock work. He said it was atrociously disorganised and badly managed. And remember the mice infestations they used to have regularly in the Food Hall?

I always much preferred Lewis's. A little bit of me died when that place closed down!

Scipio

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »
It's very sad news about Rackhams. You'd think local councils would see the writing on the wall and at the very least try to arrest the decline of the High Street by lowering business rates. Surely a couple of fewer ackers in the council coffers would be preferable to empty premises or grotty cheap shops. I dread to think what's to become of that site.

Having said all that, I was never Rackhams greatest fan. It was overpriced, and quite shambolic and messy. A few years ago a friend was placed there by an agency to do warehouse/stock work. He said it was atrociously disorganised and badly managed. And remember the mice infestations they used to have regularly in the Food Hall?

I always much preferred Lewis's. A little bit of me died when that place closed down!

Yes Teepee and you could see Father Christmas on the top floor each year , I had my photo taken with him in 1953 , he was an old man then . I don't know how old he'd be now ha ha . Welcome to the forum by the way
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2018, 12:50:30 PM »
Hi Teepee

I always found Rackhams to be well run organised and customer dedicated, yes it may have sagged a little when taken over by HOF, but when Beatties in Solihull (another good store) was taken over by the same chain it was improved a little. As far as I am aware there are no plans to close that establishment at the moment.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy