Author Topic: Illegal parking  (Read 2316 times)

DavidWilliams

Illegal parking
« on: July 07, 2018, 07:14:45 AM »
Just a comment re parking I have noticed of late more & more illegal parking seems prevalent I .e on approaches to crossings /yellow lines it would appear that taxis think it does not apply to them (it's not only taxis) in st. Mary's row Mosley there is no parking between 4.30 & 6.45 totally ignored by drivers & police it causes chaos at night reducing the carrriageway to one lane huge build ups are created just because of their inconsideration there was a recent crack down in kings Heath and Mosley but this one seems to have slipped the net any comments

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Illegal parking
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 08:34:47 AM »
some times the police let it go because it some time slows the traffic down making it safer for folk who wish to cross the road at crossing and for other road users   ie if a child runs out in to the road a car traveling  10 m.p.h has got a good chance of stopping but if that same car is doing 30.m.p.h  it cuts the odds down and its no good saying children should have more road sense but if traffic comes to a stand still because of a car or a truck blocking the road that's a different matter but slowing the traffic down on peek times can be a good thing
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

DavidWilliams

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
Point taken Roy but why bother with the signs at all think of the cost saving by not having four or five council workers erecting them and of course there is the polution problem cars emitting gases whilst standing still it could go on and on the old saying laws where made to be broken just don't be the unlucky one to get caught

andy21a

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »
I haven't noticed that taxis (black cabs) are prevalent offenders, but private hire, now that's a different ball game. Following some of them I wonder if most didn't get their licences out of Cornflakes packets.

I had an incident a few weeks back where someone had parked half on the pavement, and on double yellow lines leaving no room for wheelchair users / mothers with pushchairs to get past. I 'accidentally' brushed his wing mirror, and was regaled by a tirade of abuse from the driver, so I got out my phone and asked him if he thought perhaps we should get another opinion from the Police. He didn't wait around to see if they turned up or not.

Watching a Police Motorway program last night highlighted the issue, immigrants and visitors to the UK can go and hire / buy a car and drive it without even glancing at the Highway Code, the Eastern European driver they stopped had absolutely no idea of the national speed limit in the UK.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 09:24:41 AM »

being a driver my self (I keep out of brum now) iv noted over the years just how much traffic is on our roads
and just how much the standard of driving has gone down hill drivers do not seem to take much notice of  road restrictions it seems a case of dog eat dog once some drivers get behind the wheel of a car. but the other fact that you need to think about is Birmingham and most big towns are 100s of years old when they was planned out they did not have cars the best you had at the time was a pony and trap or a horse and cart traveling at 7 m p h over the years they have improved the  road but not made them wider so you now have bottle necks  and not much can be done about that

just a foot note I travel in to brum by train from kiddy to Snowhill or mooorstreet it take about 40 minuits by train and believe it or not  it cheaper and quicker than going in by car and I never get stuck in a traffic jam or suffer road rage or get stunk out by a truck or car or bus in front of me

andy21a

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
Yes Roy, I go to Leicester occasionally, £15 by rail, I couldn't possibly do it for that in my car with fuel and parking.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
I know I go on about driving in France,but it's so different.Ive driven in a lot of cities over there and you don't see ( well I don't ) the same madness as driving in England or the same amount of illegal parking,they don't even abuse the Blue Badge rules.Never seen illegal parking in them bays.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

countrylad

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
Edmund, s it that those that drive in France or more polite and better drivers or are the consequences more severe for bad behaviour and serves as a deterrent?

My local town is bad for illegal and dangerousness parking. It's nothing to see cars parked on the corner of junctions that have double yellows or even on the zig zag's of the pedestrian crossing. The Saturday market stalls were there today which take up about 6 to 8 feet of the road and still the idiots double park in the road and hold up the traffic. A lot of the offenders are older local folks that have usually been on committees in and around the town, telling others what they should and should not be doing and then they break the law and put lives at risk.
countrylad

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 05:16:50 PM »
a small town in the land of song had a high street that had a main road with yellow lines both sides the shop keepers was up in arms about the lines saying they are killing the passing trade this went on for a few years until the council lifted the parking restrictions it got so bad that the road would come to a stand still because it become a free for all  that soon changed the shop keeper minds

countrylad

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 05:40:17 PM »
Just realised what's driving in France and parking in Wales got to do with Birmingham chat?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 05:52:10 PM »
not much but its the same all over the place I know one thing for sure you try come from aston over to northfield any time after 1630 it a night mare

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy