Author Topic: South all’s  (Read 2223 times)

joanofarc

South all’s
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:32:52 PM »
Can’t place you. I remember Trevor Dace, Ray Phipps, Sid King. Frank Cockayne was foreman when I started. I remember many names, Roy Knowles, Frank Wilson, Alan Nelmes. Edgar Barnsley, Arthur Thomas, all electricians. Gran Fitton, Clem Rushton, Archie Huner from the fitting shop. I haven’t been near the place in 40 years. Apparently it’s raised to the ground, although the W.E.D. dept. Is now a mosque.

tkl

Re: Southallsoc
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 10:55:32 PM »
Hi, I remember all the guys you mentioned especially the one who worked in the stores, he had a very gruff vioce. You mentioned Les who worked in your office, I knew Les quite well as we used to go to clubs and parties etc, he had a Ford Cortina at the time and I still had my Mods scooter. I can't recall you either however I only visited the WED office on occasions (probably because the Bose lived there) to have a word with Les.

joanofarc

Re: South all’s
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 08:31:40 AM »
Saw Les often, but not recently. He married Ann who took over from me in the office when I left. Ann and Les have had a lot of tragic events during the last few years, and Les is not in the best of health. Saw Tony Smith last year, but not anyone else. My husband Mike worked in the electricians shop for a while before moving to R and D to start electronic dept. He remembers everyone, even though he was only there a couple of years. Happy days.

tkl

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
I remember a Mike who worked in the electricians dept, he was quite tall and wore eye glasses. He used to do most of the electronic work and was then transferred to the R&D dept under George ------- can't remember his last name. Sorry to hear about Les, does he live in Birmingham !, when I was taken on as an apprentice the works Engineer was Owen ------- and Tony Smith replaced him.

joanofarc

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 04:40:11 PM »
I think Cliff Chapman was engineer before Tony Smith. Of course then there was Bob Brown also in the office. My Mike didn’t wear glasses. He thinks you mean Alan Nelmes. Gilbert Green was in charge in R & D. The George you remember was George Mealey. Les lives in Sutton Coldfield. He went to Severn Trent from Southalls, of course retired now. We still can’t place you. What was your surname?

tkl

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 05:50:47 PM »
My name is Terry Larner I had shoulder length blond hair (sadly all gone) during my time there.

joanofarc

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 03:28:39 PM »
Still can’t place you. You must have kept a low profile. ;)

tkl

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 04:12:27 PM »
I may have a photo of the works football team and possibly one taken during my lunch break at my work bench. If I can find them and more to the point if I can input them you may recognise me.

joanofarc

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 10:40:59 PM »
Give it a go. Will see if I can dig out some old photos too.

tkl

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 04:05:40 PM »
Have found the photos but can’t find out how to post them !!!!!.

joanofarc

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
Have been trying to find out how to post photos too. Tried messaging the moderator but the webpage doesn’t exist?. I think you have to scan your photos or take a picture of the photo with your phone,. Will keep trying

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy