Author Topic: Farm Street, Hockley  (Read 864 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Farm Street, Hockley
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 08:38:35 PM »
PEG.in my wife's school days she was chosen to go to the T V Studios by Aston Cross and interview her for a project at school.
Knew it well Ed, commuted daily from Erdington to Harry Lucas School Hockley, changed buses at Aston Cross - got off the 64 and on the Inner Circle 8. Did the studio become BRMB?
Peg.
P.S. What was your wife's school?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 11:27:17 PM »
Peg she went to Farm St from1950

Peg Monkey

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 02:00:44 AM »
I was there 1954-60
Peg.

astoness

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 05:23:16 AM »
and i was there from 59 to 64/65 :)  edmund i cant be certain but i think there maybe a thread on here somewhere for farm st school with photos but i cant find it and i cant seem to see a search box...recently came across 2 new photos as well

lyn

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »
She remembers MrArley ,Headmaster Mr Smith( the man with the cane she said)but she's just told me from1954 she went to Lozells School

astoness

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 02:40:35 PM »
oohh yes old smithy edmund..i know plenty including our kid who saw his stick a few times...many have trod slowly up the spiral staircase to his office.. :(

i am taking it the wife then went to lozells girls school?? as did i...ive got some great photos of that school as well including one of a group of the teachers taken in 1957..miss reed the head..miss banbury dep head was there during my time and i am pretty sure our mom said miss reed was the head when she was at lozells girls during the war

lyn

Peg Monkey

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 04:13:37 PM »
She remembers MrArley ,Headmaster Mr Smith( the man with the cane she said)but she's just told me from1954 she went to Lozells School
The notorious Mr Smith - I felt his cane in connection with an incident where a girl got her specs broken by a pebble (it was a bum rap guv, I was dun up like a kipper).
Other teachers I remember Mrs Jones (music and arithmetric), Mr Williams (can't recall his subject) and the last one to teach me: Mr Eggerton, he must have been quite lonely - this was when I was in the annex at Friends Hall in my last year (1959-60) he was the only teacher, had to be an all-rounder. His profound wisdom has stayed with me (when planning for one day trip to Rhyl, could have been Llandudn): Bring yourself a pakamac and a magazine. Words of Wisdom Lloyd, words of widom (The Shining).
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 11:02:33 PM »
Workingmen's Cafe, corner junction Farm St and Bridge St West (1960-65). When at Harry Lucas School one of of my favourite alternative lunchtime destinations if salad was on the menu at school.
Peg.
P.S. What delicacy did I usually opt for? Tough choice - usually bacon or egg sandwich, but if I was flush Bacon and egg  sandwich - do you know wot?: Heading for the kitchen!