Author Topic: Farm Street, Hockley  (Read 3489 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Farm Street, Hockley
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2018, 10:56:41 AM »
 O0 O0 O0  Success! Thanks again Lyn.
Peg.

astoness

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 05:51:03 PM »
yep it works..unusual for me to explain anything technical with success O0

Peg Monkey

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2018, 05:04:11 PM »
Farm St School - some vivid memories as if events took place yesterday: Waiting in line for:
1. My turn to be poked around by the dentist visiting the school - still recall the rattling of the instruments in the jar of antiseptic. :-\
2. Polio jabs, 2 or 3, I think. :-\
Neccessary I know - at least 2.) is on a sugar cube now, isn't it?
Peg.
P.S. My dental reports never reached home - I ripped them up. :-\

Peg Monkey

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »
Farm St School Christmas Parties - It's funny how we often remember the minor (but, clearly, important) things in life - I remember curled up corned beef sandwiches taking pride of place at school parties during my time at Farm St School (1954-60), served on serviettes - no plates, not even paper ones! We still had a great time.
Peg. 
 O0 O0 O0

Peg Monkey

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »
During my time at Harry Lucas School, 1960-65, I developed a taste for egg sandwiches many lunchtimes (all-year round) from the nearby cafe, junction of Farm St and Bridge St West, but I did vary my diet with a bacon sandwich occasionally.
Peg.
 O0 O0 O0

Peg Monkey

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 04:48:15 PM »
fractions and Mrs Jones the teacher was singularly unimpressed with my reason for being late: I needed to watch Lunch Box until the end.

Sorry folks I'm very late (again) coming back with the solution: the three children initially enjoy 1/4 of the cake (3/12ths) leaving 1/4  (3/12ths) and they each have an equal share of that last 1/4 which is 1/12th (the red slice). So at the end of teatime they have all eaten 3/12ths + 1/12, ie 4/12ths which is a third of the cake.
All I know is, I would have long eaten my share of the cake (especially if it had been carrot cake) long before anyone had explained how to caluculate my share.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2019, 03:22:15 AM »
Feb 1976, it's Sunday evening and I'm waiting near the junction of Farm St and Great King St for Mrs Monkey who is just about to return from a weekend coach trip to Bruges, Belgium organised by her workmates at Lucas, all is quiet when I hear a vehicle approaching at speed from the junction of wheeler St and Gt King St, it's a Reliant Regal Van (Only Fools and Horses fame) and it roars passed me, the driver intending to make a right at the junction with Farm St, his speed far exceeds the design limits of the three-wheeler, it flips on its side and makes an almighty clatter as it skids some 50m or so. As soon as it comes to rest two lads emerge rapidly through the driver's door and distance themselves from the stricken vehicle, clearly in case it catches fire - it didn't. Anyway my wife arrives moments later and seeing no one is injured we head for my car and home.
Peg.
P.S. My first thought was the lads had stolen the vehicle, but would any self-respecting car thief really steal a Reliant Van?

Peg Monkey

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2019, 11:49:46 AM »
Farm St School 1954-60. The end of my time at Farm St School was definitely a low  key event, passing without any kind of recognition -surprising really as moving to senior school (Harry Lucas) you would think is quite a milestone. To be fair it was due in part to being out of the main school building - there was no room for my class so we annexed to Friends Hall when Mr Eggerton taught every subject.
Does anyone know if Friends Hall is still there? I havent visted Hockley for sometime.
Peg.
P.S. There was an upside to to being in the annex - out of sight of Headmaster Mr Smith.