Author Topic: Heaton Street, Hockley  (Read 25533 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Heaton Street, Hockley
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2021, 10:42:13 PM »
Hi Heaton Street Topic Viewers, who is out there viewing this thread? 1000's of hits but few contributions, don't be shy let's hear from you  O0 O0 O0 .
Peg
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2021, 11:36:05 PM »
PEG where is HEATON ST. MY FUTURE wife lived at 45 Whitmore st
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2021, 12:03:10 AM »
Hi Ed, Heaton Street is by the Hockley Flyover, Whitmore Street joins it.
When's the HAPPY DAY? O0
Peg

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2021, 02:03:03 PM »
Peg that happy day was in 1963,still together 58 years later..

Peg Monkey

« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2021, 02:30:01 PM »
Peg that happy day was in 1963,still together 58 years later..
I'm glad you clarified that, Ed, I was worried you might not survive the honeymoon.
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2021, 03:44:41 PM »
The area has changed beyond recognition since I lived there 1959 but most road names have survived.......
Peg

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2021, 04:19:26 PM »
Took me all week to get over the honeymoon  trip down to TINTAGEL  in North  Cornwall

Peg Monkey

« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2021, 04:08:34 PM »
Took me all week to get over the honeymoon  trip down to TINTAGEL  in North  Cornwall
Sounds like you had a great time, Ed, I'm guessing it was one of those trips where you don't worry if you get bad weather. ::) ::) ::)
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2021, 04:21:36 PM »
Early 50s: My grandfather, a self-employed jeweller, worked from his peg (jeweller's workbench) in the front room of our terraced house in Heaton Street, my mother and me were regularly pressed into service to purchase gold ingots for him from the bullion dealer, Johnson Matthey, in the Jewellery Quarter, about 20 minutes walk distant - no special security precautions, we just returned with the gold bars (each about the size of a small bar of chocolate) in a carrier bag - probably the best security measure of all: being inconspicuous.
Looking back it seems incredible he had no security arrangement at the house save normal household locks - because crime was rare? - I'm afraid not, gas meter theft (usually positioned in the cellar) was rife, and it was not unknown for people to burgle their own meter if they were a bit short.
Peg

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2021, 04:47:55 PM »
Peg my mother in law when she was a young girl worked for Lessers &, Platngers in the jewellery Quarter. She told us the amount of gold & jewellery she used to carry around in an ordinary shopping bag between different workshops bwould make your eyes water, all at the age of 17-20.
IN 1975 we had my wife's Aunty come over from NZ.. She was into jewellery business and wanted me to take her into the jewellery quarter to purchase some Sovereigns & polishes. We found a place and asked to buy 20 sovereigns and the polishes. We were told to wait.Next thing we knew there was 2 plain clothed policemen coming through the door wanting to know who we where and why we wanted them, they said it was illegal to purchase so many at that time. After explaining who she was she was allowed to have 10.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2021, 05:30:13 PM »
Peg my mother in law when she was a young girl worked for Lessers &, Platngers in the jewellery Quarter. She told us the amount of gold & jewellery she used to carry around in an ordinary shopping bag between different workshops bwould make your eyes water, all at the age of 17-20.
IN 1975 we had my wife's Aunty come over from NZ.. She was into jewellery business and wanted me to take her into the jewellery quarter to purchase some Sovereigns & polishes. We found a place and asked to buy 20 sovereigns and the polishes. We were told to wait.Next thing we knew there was 2 plain clothed policemen coming through the door wanting to know who we where and why we wanted them, they said it was illegal to purchase so many at that time. After explaining who she was she was allowed to have 10.
Crikey, Ed, wot an experience - never great to have your collar felt by The Old Bill (so I'm told ::) ::) ::) ).
My father in law wanted to invest in gold some years ago and the only way was to buy South African Kruggerands.
I don't know why there are restrictions - probably to do with money laundering, I understand these days you can't by a car for cash, or any other expensive purchase for that matter.
Peg

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy