Author Topic: Heaton Street, Hockley  (Read 25534 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Heaton Street, Hockley
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 09:27:30 PM »
Bronco Band.....
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2018, 10:22:39 PM »
A Local Character I've mentioned my grandfather, briefly, (a self-employed Heaton St Jeweller) who was, apparently, quite a well known character in his day. The poor chap must have had quite a daily challenge - He had an operation on his left leg and the surgeon botched the procedure and severely damaged a main tendon, it was such a bad experience for my grandfather he refused to let surgeons try again to put matters right and his leg was permanently locked in a right angle at the knee forcing him to use a pirate-style wooden peg leg. I can only imagine the challenges each day brought, but it doesn't seem to have held him back too much - he was over 6ft tall and sired 11 children, and regularly scrambled down river-banks during fishing contests at which he was very successful winning many prizes The story goes in order to avoid hitting any passersby with his wooden leg he chose only to walk in the road.
If the stories are true there is not doubt if he was around now he would be a very rich man from the medical negligence claim.
I posted earlier the Top Hat and White Silk Scarf Mystery - after his death I found them in the closet - can't explain why a man in  his circumstances would need them, one explanation is he purchased them as a cheaper than hire option for the marriage of his children - Top hat & tails weddings for a guy with a wooden leg - renting a terraced house in Hockley - I don't think so.
Peg. 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 10:34:21 PM »
The end of an era.....
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 10:37:38 PM »
Minimalist Carter - After my ride of a life-time in Northfield I had a new-found respect for the minimalist carter......
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 01:56:30 PM »
Forum Rule Violation - Sorry Mods, wont happen again!
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 12:11:07 PM »
The Refund Economy.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 02:32:53 PM »

Peg Monkey

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2018, 02:32:35 PM »
I don't remember crime being a particular issue during my time in Heaton St (1949-59) but gas meter robbery was rife, if you had a cellar normally that's where the meter was located, it took 1/- pieces (the cost of a school dinner) and if robbed the householder had to stand the loss. If your house fronted the street your cellar grating was accessible for coal deliveries but also to passers-by and this was a favourite point of entry for thieves, yes most people had a chain to prevent it opening, if you didn't you were at risk.
It wasn't unknown for householders to rob their own meters during hard times.
Peg.

astoness

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2018, 04:54:04 PM »
 we had 2 cellars ...our coal hole was at the back of the house ..gas meter in the front cellar...from memory i cant recall the meter ever being robbed but our dad (and i would guess many others in hard times and we had many) had this neat little trick of folding a piece of card just right..putting it in the money slot pulled a lever and on came the gas...good old dad so typical of him ;D ;D

lyn

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2018, 08:41:03 PM »
It still goes on Today.My next door neighbor would turn the gas off,undo the 2 big nuts and turn the meter the other way round,this turned the clock backwards.She would reconnect the nuts and put a Mirror so she could see the clock and not go passed the old number.She knew when the gas man would call so reversed it before he came.Saved a fortune .This was 20 years ago
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

astoness

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2018, 09:17:30 PM »
It still goes on Today.My next door neighbor would turn the gas off,undo the 2 big nuts and turn the meter the other way round,this turned the clock backwards.She would reconnect the nuts and put a Mirror so she could see the clock and not go passed the old number.She knew when the gas man would call so reversed it before he came.Saved a fortune .This was 20 years ago

ingenious  ;D ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy