Author Topic: Heaton Street, Hockley  (Read 4846 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Heaton Street, Hockley
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »
The Sledge Part 1. :(   (Part 2 on The Lyndhurst Estate Thread)
Peg.
Link to Lyndhurst Estate:
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15020.msg677037#msg677037

Peg Monkey

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2018, 02:21:42 PM »
When I got my Junior Carpenter's Kit for Christmas 1956 it catapulted Peg Monkey Go-carts Ltd into a different league  O0 O0 O0 .
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2019, 12:39:12 AM »
In the 50s Heaton Street was very much a microcosm of the day - few people had cars so there was a pub never more than a stroll distant, 10 minutes to Hockley Brook was The Benyon and head for The Flat (Lodge Rd) and you were spoilt for choice: Brown Lion, The Hydraulic, The Great Western and The Bull - favoured by my father and grandfather, where I enjoyed many a Vimto and bag of crisps whilst sitting on the steps to the staff quarters. I doubt any of them remain. :( :( :(
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2019, 08:07:00 PM »
Remember Jubblys? They originally came out end of the 50's as an orange drink but shopkeepers soon learned freezing them took them into another market, the best way to enjoy the frozen version was to wait a bit for it to go a bit sloshy, but I never had the patience, the sweet shop at the junction of Heaton St and Whitmore St, I think, was the first to sell them in the area, they also sold chilled cokes.
Ah! Happy days!
Peg.
Honed by the sands of time I am a different man to yesterday and will be different tomorrow.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2019, 02:02:53 PM »
Rabone, became Rabone Chesterman - well-known company making quality measuring tools. During my time in Heaton St (1949-1959) the factory was at the Hockley Brook end of Heaton St, where it joins Whitmore St. I passed the factory daily and was often greeted by a curious ratling noise which appeared to come from the large tubular duct that stretched down the outside of the building from the top floor (there were 5/6 stories) to ground level. I never did find out what it was and my best guess is, it was the route for wood off-cuts and chippings down to the groundfloor collection point.
Many of Rabone's tools had a major wood content, invariably a quality hardwood for stability, examples are shown in the attachment.
Peg. 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
In the 50s there was at least one pigeon fancier in Heaton St, there are few creatures that cause such an extreme polarisation of emotions - on the one hand they are flying vermin who polute our cities and towns and on the other extreme they are treasured feathered friends changing hands for a fortune (most expensvie sold in 2018 was e2,788,000, YES! over 2.3/4 million euros!
For my part I don't hold affection for them I departed a store wearing a new anorak seconds later I had been targetted by a pigeon who had obviously had a bad curry with the lads the night before - I never did get all the stain off.  >:(
Peg