Author Topic: Heaton Street, Hockley  (Read 25510 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Heaton Street, Hockley
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 09:54:54 PM »
Hi Peg & Lyn,my wife lived at No 45 Whitmore St for many years,her mother worked for many years at Daleys Sweet shop opposite Heaton St.When my F/Law died in 68 she married sometime late a man named Jim Day who was foreman for many years at Rabone/Chesterman in the Ruler Shop.They both retired to Tamworth  in 75
Hi Lyn & Ed, I do remember the shop but not the name, got my first frozen Jublee (don't know if that spelling is correct) there and I also recall the shop was one of the first in the area to sell Pepsi/Coke chilled from a in-shop fridge - fantastic on hot summer days.
I also have links with Tamworth - only way my wife and me could afford a new house when we got married in 1972 was in Tamworth, we lived I suppose generally behind the Reliant Factory at Two Gates - area called Belgrave.
We both worked in Birmingham and commuting was a problem especially when were living there when the oil crisis was in full swing. Although we only had a mini we had worked out our petrol ration of fuel was insufficient for our commute each day and we made contingency plans to stay with parents on some nights thankfully it never came in. We moved back to Sutton in 1974.

Peg.
P.S. Lyn - I've also got a couple of gripes why does the font suddenly go small? And even worse on a number of occasions I have completely lost a length post before I have had the opportunity to post it.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 10:12:51 PM »
thanks peg will check the number of my rellies when i have time...

hi edmund right now i am looking at a cracking photo of heaton st showing all saints mission hall 1961..its looking towards whitmore st...trouble is its so much faffing around to post a photo on here i dont post many if at all.. even when i get them down to the correct size they still wont post..maybe peg will remember dalys sweet shop

lyn

KB Image limit - The forum has a low image limit and it would be tragic if threaders are avoiding posting pics because of this, all my images require reducing and I use publisher where I create the master and then insert this into another image as a jpg and then reduce again to get within 80kb's,  strewth! - I'm out of breath explaining it - easier to do than say. Also - not being able to edit old posts is limiting - sometimes updating is required.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 10:32:49 PM »
Moving on - The back-to-backs had a communal brew-house which was the public laundry, with a large copper (I guess) crucible to contain the clothes and water, beneath which was lit a fire. I don't remember anyone using them during my years in Heaton St but you can certainly understand why they were provided. Houses in those days didn't really have a kitchen it was a scullery sufficient room, usually, for the cooker (gas) and the sink, perhaps a food cupboard. As regards getting clothes dry at least everyone had their own line, on washday you had to thread down the back-to-backs negotiating a route through the mass of laundry.
As basic as the houses were the ceilings were usually high enough for a ceiling airer. (I suppose we were posh in one respect - our kitchen was big enough to have its own copper crucible, a smaller version of the communal one).
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 10:39:52 AM »
1955 General Election - I'm 6, living in Heaton St and it's the morning of the 1955 General Election. All children have got the day off (schools are being used as polling stations) when Colin, my older friend from a few doors away calls, he's an entreupreneur:
"Got a plan to earn a few bob, are you in?"
I instantly convert the currency bob to donut vouchers and am mentally already on my way to the cake shop (H V Smith on the Flat) when I reply:
"I'm in."
He goes on to explain:
"You put a Vote Labour poster on your cart, I'll make a plackard with the same message and we''ll call at the Labour Office to see if they will pay us to walk the streets."
I had no political affiliations then (in fact I couldn't even spell it let alone know its meaning), anyway we call at the campaign office but Colin doesn't ask a direct question, he asks the Labour people:
"Will it be OK if we walk the streets with this plackard and the cart." Anticipating a fee would be offered.
The official says yes and promptly shuts the office door.
Now, quite frankly I didn't give a monkey's whether it would but OK or not, I just wanted to be paid, so there we were looking at each other in disbelief - the plan had withered on the vine.
We went our separate ways and I joined my mate in the Icknield St School playground.
Peg.

astoness

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 12:27:55 PM »
KB Image limit - The forum has a low image limit and it would be tragic if threaders are avoiding posting pics because of this, all my images require reducing and I use publisher where I create the master and then insert this into another image as a jpg and then reduce again to get within 80kb's,  strewth! - I'm out of breath explaining it - easier to do than say. Also - not being able to edit old posts is limiting - sometimes updating is required.Peg.

peg i can get them to required size but the trouble is i dont want them that size for my personal use i prefer them larger but once resized i cant get them back to the larger size this is why i dont post photos also when we click on a photo it does not enlarge like it does on other forums

..the other thing is i just dont have the time to sit at my pc all day trying to figure out the technical things...but you are correct in saying that it is a shame if members avoid posting photos because of these limitations as i have thousands i could share just wondering if this site is free to run and and so photo sizes are limited...i dont really understand these things...maybe the owner of the forum could explain why...

lyn

Peg Monkey

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 03:46:22 PM »
KB Image limit - The forum has a low image limit and it would be tragic if threaders are avoiding posting pics because of this, all my images require reducing and I use publisher where I create the master and then insert this into another image as a jpg and then reduce again to get within 80kb's,  strewth! - I'm out of breath explaining it - easier to do than say. Also - not being able to edit old posts is limiting - sometimes updating is required.Peg.

peg i can get them to required size but the trouble is i dont want them that size for my personal use i prefer them larger but once resized i cant get them back to the larger size this is why i dont post photos also when we click on a photo it does not enlarge like it does on other forums

..the other thing is i just dont have the time to sit at my pc all day trying to figure out the technical things...but you are correct in saying that it is a shame if members avoid posting photos because of these limitations as i have thousands i could share just wondering if this site is free to run and and so photo sizes are limited...i dont really understand these things...maybe the owner of the forum could explain why...

lyn
Absolutely understand, Lyn, the saying tail wagging the dog comes to mind. Had countless heated discussions with IT experts at work when they said, New system: you can't do that anymore but you can do this... - my reply: the computer is only a tool - I'll tell it what to do - That told 'em, right? WRONG, nothing changed.[/size][size=78%]..[/size]
Peg.
P.S. Just got a nasty attack of the small font again.....

Peg Monkey

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 08:08:18 PM »
Journeyman? - I was looking through some old family documents the other day and came upon my Mother's marriage certificate (the first one, she was married twice) dated 1936 (she was 19) my grandfather's profession was stated as: Jeweller (Journeyman).
I'd never come across the word before and my first reaction was he was a travelling salesman in jewellery.
I checked the Oxford Concise English dictionary and it gave two meanings:
1. A skilled worker who is employed by another.
and
2. A worker who is reliable but not outstanding.
I ruled out 2. in this instance on the basis that would just not form part of a person's profession on such a document. The dictionary elaborated: A Journeyman was paid by the day.
So far from Journey in this case relating to travel the word is derived from the French Jour (day) - so a Journeyman was a man paid daily.
So , there you have it- compelling stuff, right?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 08:29:26 PM »
A Mystery - There is a mystery connected with my jeweller grandfather which I fear will never be explained - I'm the oldest one around now who might know, but I don't.
It's 1952, I'm 3 and my grandfather has just died. I'm rummiging in my mom's closet one day and come across a top hat and a white silk scarf (All very Fred Astaire- right?) I seek an explanation from my mom and she tells me they were my grandfather's.
So, where's the mystery?
Well, my grandfather was an average working Joe (Really, his name was Joseph), he lived in a less than modest house (just one step up from a back-to-back) which he rented, he sired 11 children (yes I know there was no TV in those days) and he enjoyed a drink at the Bull on The Flat, so if he had a top hat and white silk scarf he probably had white tie and tails and a cane, right?
Why? Was he in a secret society or what?
The explanation has gone with him to his grave , I wished I'd asked my mum - too late now.
Peg.

astoness

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 08:34:44 PM »
i have a journeyman blacksmith...my understanding of a journeyman is someone who is learning their trade but dont take it as gospel

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 09:28:59 PM »
The definition of Journeyman is an apprentice who has served his time and learnt his trade sufficiently enough to work for someone else. Who is not able to work for himself until he attains the level of Master Journeyman.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 10:29:28 PM »
thanks phil i was close enough  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy