Author Topic: Heaton Street, Hockley  (Read 25529 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Heaton Street, Hockley
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 10:44:05 PM »
Journeyman - Hi Lyn and Phil, I too have seen a definition indicating it describes a state of ability between an apprentice and fully skilled, however in my grandfather's case he was still labelled as Journeyman on a document when he was 69! He'd worked as a master jeweller for many years to a point where he became self-employed. That led me to putting faith in the Oxford Dictionary definition.
Concise Oxford English Dictionary wrong? - Interesting. 
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 12:14:29 PM »
Perhaps it was the limitations of the term Journeyman that had changed and not the definition.

The Collins English Dictionary, defines Journeyman as,

a worker for a daily wage. b. a worker who has served his apprenticeship and is therefore qualified to work a a specified trade. Any sound, experienced worker, but not brilliant craftsman or performer. Word origin of "Journeyman".

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 02:59:08 PM »
Thanks Phil, - I'm puzzled that my grandfather seemed to be still labelled Journeyman so late in his life - another mystery that will remain, unless of course on the document in question the clerk had paid daily in his mind when he made out the marriage certificate.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »
Loss of INet connection - I'm losing link at crucial times, check out my plan on the Harry Lucas School Thread Post #77
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 06:42:58 PM »
Airfix Spitfire - Aged about 7 or 8 I was building Airfix plastic Kits to a reasonable standard, two models I remember well were the Spitfire and the German Stuka, I purchased these from Woolworths on The Flat at a cost of 2/- (10p) each. I now had a friend in the posh houses opposite and I decided to give him a gift of a completed Spitfire. On the day it was finished I proudly crossed the road with it and knocked on his door, he answered and he beamed when I presented my gift to him.
He said this is just want I want and invited me in, he led the way upstairs and I followed - "Sure to be thinking of a place that the Spitfire would occupy for all to see." I thought.
Sure enough he walked to the end of their very long landing where he stood the model, on its stand, on a chest of drawers, he smiled broadly and said wont be a second as he disappeared into his bedroom, moments later he returned with his air-rifle, took aim at the plane and two or three shots later the plane was an unrecognisable heap of plastic on the floor.
I was speechless.
Ah Well! That's Life!
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 08:52:21 PM »
Puppet Theatre - I suppose I was about 6 when on a trip to the city my mom bought me two glove puppets from Lewis's (what a store?!!!!) - A policeman and a washer woman (why did I choose a washer woman?!! must have sold out of other characters) anyway they formed the basis of a puppet theatre and I invited Sue (can't remember her real name) who was about my age and lived a few doors away to join me as a puppeteer. I made the theatre from some wooden crates and it worked out really well, at the beginning that is.
There was a bit of creative conflict over plotsand story lines but by and large we worked well together.
And then what happened next haunts me to this day - I made Sue redundant. It was a bit tight under the fruit and veg boxes so I sacked Sue and operated both puppets myself.
I know what you are thinking: What a low-life!?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 10:46:23 PM »
The 1956 Heaton Street Go-cart Crash - A tale of epic proportions to rival Gone With The Wind......

Peg Monkey

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 10:47:30 PM »
The Saga continues.....

Peg Monkey

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2018, 10:48:53 PM »
The Saga continues.....

Peg Monkey

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2018, 10:51:28 PM »
The 1956 Heaton Street Go-cart Crash - The fateful day.....

Peg Monkey

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »
Perambulation....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy