Author Topic: Heaton Street, Hockley  (Read 25521 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Heaton Street, Hockley
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »
The Sledge Part 1. :(   (Part 2 on The Lyndhurst Estate Thread)
Peg.
Link to Lyndhurst Estate:
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15020.msg677037#msg677037
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2018, 02:21:42 PM »
When I got my Junior Carpenter's Kit for Christmas 1956 it catapulted Peg Monkey Go-carts Ltd into a different league  O0 O0 O0 .
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2019, 12:39:12 AM »
In the 50s Heaton Street was very much a microcosm of the day - few people had cars so there was a pub never more than a stroll distant, 10 minutes to Hockley Brook was The Benyon and head for The Flat (Lodge Rd) and you were spoilt for choice: Brown Lion, The Hydraulic, The Great Western and The Bull - favoured by my father and grandfather, where I enjoyed many a Vimto and bag of crisps whilst sitting on the steps to the staff quarters. I doubt any of them remain. :( :( :(
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2019, 08:07:00 PM »
Remember Jubblys? They originally came out end of the 50's as an orange drink but shopkeepers soon learned freezing them took them into another market, the best way to enjoy the frozen version was to wait a bit for it to go a bit sloshy, but I never had the patience, the sweet shop at the junction of Heaton St and Whitmore St, I think, was the first to sell them in the area, they also sold chilled cokes.
Ah! Happy days!
Peg.
Honed by the sands of time I am a different man to yesterday and will be different tomorrow.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2019, 02:02:53 PM »
Rabone, became Rabone Chesterman - well-known company making quality measuring tools. During my time in Heaton St (1949-1959) the factory was at the Hockley Brook end of Heaton St, where it joins Whitmore St. I passed the factory daily and was often greeted by a curious ratling noise which appeared to come from the large tubular duct that stretched down the outside of the building from the top floor (there were 5/6 stories) to ground level. I never did find out what it was and my best guess is, it was the route for wood off-cuts and chippings down to the groundfloor collection point.
Many of Rabone's tools had a major wood content, invariably a quality hardwood for stability, examples are shown in the attachment.
Peg. 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
In the 50s there was at least one pigeon fancier in Heaton St, there are few creatures that cause such an extreme polarisation of emotions - on the one hand they are flying vermin who polute our cities and towns and on the other extreme they are treasured feathered friends changing hands for a fortune (most expensvie sold in 2018 was e2,788,000, YES! over 2.3/4 million euros!
For my part I don't hold affection for them I departed a store wearing a new anorak seconds later I had been targetted by a pigeon who had obviously had a bad curry with the lads the night before - I never did get all the stain off.  >:(
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2019, 03:41:23 PM »
Heaton St - 1950s - Both my parents worked so I was fortunate not to experience any deprivation during my childhood years but poverty did exist not far away and I suppose many delacies were born as a result, sheep's head, pig's trotters, cow heel, tripe and jellied eels being examples of cuisine that has never appealed. I've tried jellied eels a number of times but I cannot aquire a taste, but my mother loved them (together with whelks, which I find almost inedible),  I'm no angler but it seems eels almost catch themselves, both my father and grandfather usually returned from their fishing trips with a sack of live eels, are they still a delecacy in London Pubs?
Peg.
P.S. What I did develop a taste for was egg custard tarts from H V Smith Bakers - I believe they're still going strong. O0

Peg Monkey

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2019, 05:42:22 PM »
1950s - My house in Heaton St was originally my grandparents' and then the rent agreement was taken over by my parents, it was one of the posher houses in the street, it fronted Heaton St and had its own WC in the back yard (unlike the back to backs behind us where upto 8 houses shared a couple of WCs), the house had 3 bedrooms. My mother was the youngest of 11 children all born in that house, I can only approximate but on the basis there was a year between each child and my grandmother was 20 when she had the first she was either pregnant or caring for an infant for about 15 years, I can only imagine how 13 individuals lived in the house.
But get this - my grandfather had a wooden peg leg, his right leg badly deformed (due to botched surgery) permanently  bent at right angles backwards  clearly it didn't cramp his style - 11 children! The mind boggles and he was a contest-winning angler.
Peg.   

Peg Monkey

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2019, 10:22:34 PM »
When aged about 9 and living in Heaton St (1958) I joined the Life Boys (The Junior Reserve of The Boys' Brigade) - here's the puzzle - The church I attended was in Summer Hill (the road layout has changed dramatically since '58) which was about 30mins walk from my house in Heaton St, but there was a Life Boys Company much closer in Ellen St School (Brookfields) so why did I walk twice as far as I needed to? :-\
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2020, 09:34:34 PM »
1950s - The off-license (a converted terraced house) was only a few doors away from our house in Heaton St and I was regularly pressed into service to get a large brown beer bottle refilled, I was appointed to the prestigious position of Ale Monkey when aged about 5, there wasn't much in the way of licensing laws in those days!
I wonder if Brexit will mean any change to our licensing laws? :-\
Happy Brexit Day.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2020, 08:05:29 AM »
It's great when you are the perfect candidate for a job, right?......... :-\
Peg.
P.S. There is a school of thought that a true Brummie is born within the Inner Circle 8 Bus Route, that places the epicentre for the Brummie Accent somewhere near The Think Tank.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy