Author Topic: Heaton Street, Hockley  (Read 25528 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Heaton Street, Hockley
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2021, 04:25:15 PM »
Peg - spoke to my sister in Australia this morning, she said she went to the infant and juniors school on Icknield Street and then to an all girls school in Handsworth. I'm still inclined to think my Mom went to a school very near to Heaton Street ... otherwise the cocoa would have been cold!  ;D  Regards.
Now that is interesting, I too remember stories of mums taking nourishment to pupils at Icknield St School during breaktime.
I'm wondering if (like a number of schools) the age and gender of pupils taken changed over the years, I remember Icknield Street being a Boys' Senior School, when I was about 7 (1956) I remember looking longingly in through the window of the metalwork workshop.
Peg 
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2021, 04:38:58 PM »
So, if you were of infant school age in the 50s and living in Heaton St which infant school did you attend?
Probably Brookfields, Ingeston St (near Hockley Station) - the nearest, opened 1949 and it's still there! O0 O0 O0
School too young for you? Then maybe you went to Burbury St Board School (near the Lucas Gt King Factory) opened 1891.
Peg.
Link Brookfields School: https://www.brookfields.bham.sch.uk/
Link Burbury St Board School: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg655118#msg655118

Peg Monkey

« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2021, 10:22:54 AM »
Hi Horton10, which infants school did you attend?
Peg

Horton10

« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2021, 06:06:01 PM »
Hi Peg. That's a bit tricky ... I remember being taken to school on the first day and then being left there. I remember everyone crying and I remember high iron railings but I do not know where that school was. That would have been in September 1953 so that could have been a local infant school in Hockley. When we moved to Norwich I went to two infant schools there but attended both only briefly. We were in Cromer by the summer of 1954 and I moved up from the Infant School to the Junior School in Cromer.
Then Secondary School and college in Norwich.
I took a year out when I was 49 ... a late Gap Year ... went back to college and changed career taking up a job in Nuclear Medicine.
So, that's a potted version of my schooling Peg.
No post today!   

Peg Monkey

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2021, 06:22:57 PM »
Hi Peg. That's a bit tricky ... I remember being taken to school on the first day and then being left there.
Let's see if we can narrow the number of possible infant schools down, where were you living when you started infant school?
Peg.
P.S. Slow post? Can we still blame the snow and floods?
P.P.S. I can recall in the early 50s, Brummies viewed Norfolk as The Far East, lawless bandit country where the unwitting traveller ventured at their peril. Having said that few ventured very far from where they were born.

Horton10

« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2021, 07:19:30 PM »
Hi Peg,
Born in Dudley Road Hospital, my baptism was at All Saints and the last entry on my Registration card is Abbey Street Birmingham 18, but we always seemed to be at Granny's house in Heaton Street! Can you ascertain anything from that Peg?
Don't forget Peg that my father was a Norfolk man and as Horatio Nelson famously said, "I am a myself a Norfolk man and glory in being so!"
Horton 10

Peg Monkey

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2021, 10:28:31 PM »
Hi Peg,
Born in Dudley Road Hospital, my baptism was at All Saints and the last entry on my Registration card is Abbey Street Birmingham 18, but we always seemed to be at Granny's house in Heaton Street! Can you ascertain anything from that Peg?...........
Horton 10
Hi Horton10, your infant school: 2 contenders close to where you were living B18: the closer: All Saints School, All Saints Rd (opened 1843) and Brookfields Infant School, Ingeston St (opened 1949)
Check em out, link: Winson Green to Brookfields:
http://www.winsongreentobrookfields.co.uk/schools-2
Regards,
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2021, 05:00:32 PM »
Hi Peg,
Born in Dudley Road Hospital, my baptism was at All Saints and the last entry on my Registration card is Abbey Street Birmingham 18, but we always seemed to be at Granny's house in Heaton Street! Can you ascertain anything from that Peg?
Don't forget Peg that my father was a Norfolk man and as Horatio Nelson famously said, "I am a myself a Norfolk man and glory in being so!"
Horton 10
Be of stout heart, Horton10, no-one will think it was your fault that as an infant you were uprooted from your beloved birthplace to a distant land beyond the horizon.
Do you think yourself a Brummie? I'm afraid I might be the bearer of sad tidings, taking one definition of a Brummie as Someone born inside the Inner Circle 8 Bus Route, born in Dudley Road Hospital is just outside and it gets worse I'm not a Brummie either as I think I was also born in Dudley Road Hospital, so how close did the Inner Circle 8 run to us? - Along Icknield Street.
Worse thing for me is I've got the strongest Brummie accent imaginable, in fact if a Martian ever land the second think he would say after Hello is Wot part of Birmingham do you come from? :-[ :-[ :-[
Peg

Horton10

« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2021, 09:41:35 PM »
Hi Peg - you are so clever! I have spent the afternoon checking out the links to the various schools that could have been my Birmingham Infant School, it could have been any one of them. Fascinating. thank you Peg.

I rather think I shall have to consider myself as of dual citizenship - Birmingham by birth and Norfolk by adoption!

I'm heartened to hear you have a good solid Brummie accent. Regretfully a lot of time and money was spent on me to lessen my accent for the sake of education and employment. Goodness only knows what accent I have now! Midlands with a little Norwich thrown in and an awful lot of rural Norfolk by default. Fifty years married to a very rural Norfolk chap put the kibosh on any posh accent! Whenever the Birmingham relatives came to stay with us - no one could understand Robin and he definitely could not understand them! Hilarious!
 :D  where next Peg?
Horton 10

Peg Monkey

« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2021, 10:43:15 AM »
Hi Peg - you are so clever! ..........

Delighted to be of service, Horton10. I think I can narrow down your infant school contender from 2 to 1: All Saints was the closer so logically you parents chose that one, but that aside is there anything else which could help us decide? - YES. Brookfields is close to Hockley Station so if you attended there (1953?) there would have been the constant sound of shunting steam engines which were still very much in evidence in the early 50s, this station, in addition to through traffic, had a huge goods traffic shunting yard. On the other, hand if you remember no such noise the chances are it was All Saints.
Job done? O0
Peg

Horton10

« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2021, 06:14:42 PM »
Good afternoon Peg,
Thank you for your detective work! I don't remember any steam engine sounds at my first school. I remember iron railings built into bricked walls and pillars and being left on my own in a place I didn't know. I remember a high classroom divided in two by large folding doors that traveled along brass grooves in the floor.
Girls one side boys on the other. Tall skinny female teachers and I loved to use the paints.There was a large deep white sink to wash very painty hands in. Regretfully I just don't know which infant school that was. But, I agree with you that if it was in Birmingham then it would probably be All Saints as that was the closest.
Just think Peg ... had my parents stayed in Hockley we could have been school mates!
Thanks Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy