Author Topic: Heaton Street, Hockley  (Read 25514 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Heaton Street, Hockley
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2021, 06:32:21 PM »
Good afternoon Peg,
Thank you for your detective work! I don't remember any steam engine sounds at my first school. I remember iron railings built into bricked walls and pillars and being left on my own in a place I didn't know. I remember a high classroom divided in two by large folding doors that traveled along brass grooves in the floor.
Girls one side boys on the other. Tall skinny female teachers and I loved to use the paints.There was a large deep white sink to wash very painty hands in. Regretfully I just don't know which infant school that was. But, I agree with you that if it was in Birmingham then it would probably be All Saints as that was the closest.
Just think Peg ... had my parents stayed in Hockley we could have been school mates!
Thanks Peg.
Hi Horton10 - here's a thought - My first infant school was Brookfields, started Sept 1954 (I had a disastrous start to school-life, only there a few weeks, more about that another time) so that is further evidence your first school was All Saints, because had Brookefields been your first school we would have met up!.
Peg
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Horton10

« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2021, 07:58:07 PM »
Hi Peg,
What do you remember about the Coronation?
Horton 10

Peg Monkey

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2021, 05:22:37 AM »
Icknield St School had an entrance in Heaton St.
Link: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14461.msg618510#msg618510
In this set of photos can be see the Bulls Head, my grandfather's favourite watering hole, both my father and grandfather were members of the fishing club there, last time I checked it had been long closed and near to being demolished.
Also in the set is the pub The Grand Turk on Hockley Hill, a favourite venue for my aunt, who had relocated to London, when she visited us in Heaton St.
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2021, 04:05:02 PM »
Hi Peg,
What do you remember about the Coronation?
Horton 10
I was nearly scarred for life - aged about 6 the plan was for me to be decked out in a grenadier guard's uniform complete with bearskin - so far so good, anyway when my mom and older cousin M opened the box with the outfit in they were a bit slow in seeing something was amiss, I could see straight away that grenadier guards do not wear a skirt (not in public, anyway) and worse there was a really girlie tunic and a cute pillbox hat. Thank god at the last minute common sense prevailed and it was realised the uniform was for a female grenadier guard - no such thing? There is, but only the one - it was a miniature version of the uniform of the regiment's Commander-in-Chief - HM The Queen.
Anyway I'm sure there was no chance of me being sent to the street party in a girls uniform, right? :-[ :-[ :-[
Peg. 

Horton10

« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2021, 04:41:00 PM »
Hi Peg,
Sorry to have stirred up such powerful memories! Mum's have a habit of embarrassing us at every opportunity. Is it meant to be character building do you think? Was there a street party in Heaton Street? I have a memory of a newspaper/press type group photo being taken outside in front of a church hall or something similar. I had on my best party dress and a white ribbon in my hair. I also have a very hazy recollection of sitting on an Aunty's lap in a darkened room listening/watching the radio or television. When did tv first appear in Heaton Street I wonder?
Horton10

Peg Monkey

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2021, 08:27:59 AM »
Hi Peg,
......... Was there a street party in Heaton Street? I have a memory of a newspaper/press type group photo being taken outside in front of a church hall or something similar. I had on my best party dress and a white ribbon in my hair. I also have a very hazy recollection of sitting on an Aunty's lap in a darkened room listening/watching the radio or television. When did tv first appear in Heaton Street I wonder?
Horton10
The Coronation was actually 1953 so my previous calculation for my age as 6 was wrong, I was 4 and that seems to be crucial in my memories of that time, there was a celebration but wot form it took I'm not sure, yes it might have been in the street but equally it could have been in The Mission Hall or Icknield St School Playground.
I think my mom bought one of first TVs in the road, purchased with the money my granddad left, it was a floor standing model with a 9" screen - state of the art! Purchased from an electrical shop on The Flat.
Peg
P.S. Still no Avatar :-[ :-[ :-[

Horton10

« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2021, 10:23:09 AM »
Hi Peg,
That may have solved a bit of a mystery for me ... I have always thought I was sitting, in my grandparents house, on the lap of my Aunty Maud watching the coronation on a tv. The room was dark and crowded, people sitting on the floor, when someone shot up saying they had dropped their cigarette, there was a lot of cafuffle until the burning ciggy was found and the carpet inspected for burning. That moment has stayed with me more than all the pomp and circumstance of the Coronation! Just wonder why though Aunty Maud was in Birmingham at the time of the Coronation when she actually lived in London and could have been watching from the kerb side in the Capitol. That's a quandary!
Horton10

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2021, 10:45:14 AM »
Horton10 & PEG.. All I remember was it rained nearly all day in Kitts Green
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2021, 11:27:28 AM »
Horton10 & PEG.. All I remember was it rained nearly all day in Kitts Green
Hi, Ed, were you in fancy dress?
Peg

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2021, 11:58:50 AM »
What do they call a person in Wellies and sporting an umbrella all day? At13 years of age
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Horton10

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2021, 12:26:07 PM »
Very patriotic I would think Ed.
Horton10  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy