Author Topic: Will Birmingham Ever Be Finished?  (Read 8143 times)

JudithM

Will Birmingham Ever Be Finished?
« on: August 03, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »
Following on from the Paradise Circus redevelopment and the ongoing roadworks for the Metro extension, today's news tells us that the Museum & Art Gallery will be closed for 3 years for 'redevelopment'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-45044473

One snipped to note is that the temporary 'replacement', which will be in Yardley, won't open until 2 years after the museum closes....

So, will we ever have a city that is free from road cones, hoardings & cranes?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Will Birmingham Ever Be Finished?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 07:24:47 PM »
I read in the Birmingham Mail that the closure was due to the fact that the Town Hall was in need of a major refurbishment. I think the BMAG is just being included so the Councillors can have nice new shiny facilities and blame it on the need for new space at the Art Gallery.

The new multi million pound  Collection Centre at the Poolway in Yardley is hoped will be able to display some of the exhibits that they have no room for at the BMAG. Can I say that I am all for the idea, but I just wonder where the money is coming from. Not so long back the city was pleading poverty. Is this going to be another partnership with commerce where we will have to pay through the nose to go and see exhibits that were donated to the people of Birmingham?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

RoyMcC

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 11:20:27 PM »

I have mixed feelings reading about this redevelopment. For me anyway, much of the attraction of the BMAG was that it never seemed to change. And of course the fact that it was always free.

Now I guess it'll be jazzed up and inter-active. Still, if more space is created for those exhibits which are in store then that's a plus.

Hopefully they'll keep the tea rooms where you could always get (as my English teacher used to say) a cup of Titian tea and a Baroque bun.

Coastal

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 10:56:30 AM »
So, will we ever have a city that is free from road cones, hoardings & cranes?

Not as long as there's a lovely old building that can be demolished and replaced with ...... (I was stuck for printable words at this point to describe some of the things they throw up in their place) for example the New Rep monstrocity (someone got paid to "design" that?)
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »
Coasty,fell out with B C council in 1955 when they started to pull down lovely old designed buildings to put up Concrete monstrosities.On the Continent they preserve there's  for future children to see.Some one in the planning department must be making a fortune ::) ::)
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

astoness

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 03:29:47 PM »
most annoying..ive just typed out a long response to the thread..twice resized a photo.second time down to the dimensions of 369x512 and 103 KB and it still said the photo was too large so once again i give up... :(

ps i agree with you edmund

lyn

Scipio

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 08:38:32 PM »
Coasty,fell out with B C council in 1955 when they started to pull down lovely old designed buildings to put up Concrete monstrosities.On the Continent they preserve there's  for future children to see.Some one in the planning department must be making a fortune ::) ::)

Edmund cast your mind back to the 50's, the old Birmingham Library , opposite the library there was a beautiful red brick building , a college or university or so , I always thought it was part of B,ham University but I found out on this forum it was something else. Anyway it was criminal to knock the original library down and that building opposite , the replacement library that has since gone , was a right monstrosity it resembled the Kremlin 100% concrete
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 11:31:41 PM »
Scipio please don't start me about B C Co

Scipio

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 11:32:54 PM »
Scipio please don't start me about B C Co

Sorry Edmund never said a word
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 11:34:44 PM »
Thanks Scipio, :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

Spud

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 10:21:23 AM »
Will Birmingham ever be finished ? Of course not its like every big city always some building work going on. About The Museum ans Art Gallery I don't think we really appreciate what we have here in dear old Brum like many other Brummies I don't very often think of going to our brilliant Museum at Art Galleries go to the Rep occasionally they have some great shows and what about our Symphony Hall ?
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy