Author Topic: Will Birmingham Ever Be Finished?  (Read 8145 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Will Birmingham Ever Be Finished?
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 10:55:21 AM »
Spud

We take our grandchildren regularly to the BMAG, they love going. I must admit I haven't been to Symphoy Hall yet the problem with that is getting somebody to go with. I'm afraid I'm the only one in the family who could site there and enjoy it. I haven't been to Millennium Point yet because I refuse to pay out of principle. Why should we have to pay to see exhibits that were given freely on the most part to the people of Birmingham?

This is my problem with this planned new centre at the Poolway, I suspect an entrance charge will be introduced. Much better they leave all the exhibits at the collection centre on Dollman Street, at least they have open days when you can go and see the exhibits we no longer have room to display. Believe me this renovation and new building is not being done for the people of Birmingham, it's purpose is to attract more visitors.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »
One minutes the council hi pleadings poverty the next they are about spend millions on the museum and don't forget the Commonwealth Games.Get the begging Bowls out again.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

JudithM

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »
Probably is being done to boost visitor numbers, like they did with the library paying over the odds for a swanky modern building when a much plainer one would have functioned just as well.

I hope the new Yardley establishment will stay open an house artefacts that are no longer on show at the city centre museum.  There is a lot missing that used to be there - both from the regular museum and science museum - that have never reappeared.  I have been to Millennium Point.  Admittedly it was over a decade ago when we took my youngest brother & a cousin.  It's good, but there is a nasty entrance fee and there is a lot missing that used to be in the old science museum.

One thing we don't have is a proper Natural History section in either.  There used to be a hall at the city centre site with taxidermy specimens as well as fossils & recreations of extinct animals.  It was always my favourite part when I was a kid.  That went a while back.  I remember going there with my then boyfriend in the late '90's & it was there then, but it's gone now.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

JudithM

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »
One minutes the council hi pleadings poverty the next they are about spend millions on the museum and don't forget the Commonwealth Games.Get the begging Bowls out again.

I think one issue is that they get Government funding for different things out of different 'pots'.  Things like standard building maintenance and day to day stuff come out of their regular budget (which keeps getting cut), but they can then get grants for specific works (like modernising the museum & tarting up the are for the Commonwealth Games). So it might seem odd that they say they have no money to fund school repairs or keep day care centres open yet be able to renovate a park or erect a statue, but that's not the fault of the council.

JudithM

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 01:36:16 PM »

Edmund cast your mind back to the 50's, the old Birmingham Library , opposite the library there was a beautiful red brick building , a college or university or so , I always thought it was part of B,ham University but I found out on this forum it was something else. Anyway it was criminal to knock the original library down and that building opposite , the replacement library that has since gone , was a right monstrosity it resembled the Kremlin 100% concrete

Actually, the Kremlin is a rather beautiful building  ;D ;D ;D

astoness

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 10:12:33 PM »

Scipio

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 10:16:04 PM »
Actually, the Kremlin is a rather beautiful building  ;D ;D ;D

Yes I believe you comrade Harajo
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 10:17:29 PM »
it gets worse spud..the BMAG is closing for 3 years... >:(

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/three-year-closure-birmingham-museum-14979284

I remember as kids on the holidays we were in there every other week
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 10:35:53 PM »
whats the betting the BMAG will be used for the commonwealth games in some way

lyn

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 11:31:21 PM »
You've hit the nail on the head Lyn O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

astoness

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 07:08:50 AM »
edmund i could well be wrong but knowing BCC as i do it would not surprise me..everywhere you turn the city centre is like a building site..great rush me thinks to get it looking tidy for the commonwealth games which of course we only got because no one else wanted them...the city is well up to its neck in debt as it is..a debt i fear we will never be free of and of course it is the good folk of brum that is suffering for it..

lyn

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy