Author Topic: Will Birmingham Ever Be Finished?  (Read 8147 times)

JudithM

Re: Will Birmingham Ever Be Finished?
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2019, 01:18:42 PM »

I guarantee as soon as Five Ways is finished there will be another section under construction . It will never be fully operational

And when they get to the end, they'll start again at the beginning as the 'old' track & infrastructure will need updating  ;D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Spud

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2019, 04:38:13 PM »
I think that the Tramway is tobe extended as far as Digbeth Coach Station

I was in Brum last Saturday and wandered up to 'Rackhams' The 5th floor including the Restaurant is now shut but just looking around this lovely old shop it resembles the Marie Celeste HOF in Solihull is the same. Just wonder how much longer they can survive.Understand the Solihull shop was on the closure list but give a 12 month stay of execution but there is some query regarding the lease.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Scipio

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2019, 08:54:48 PM »
And when they get to the end, they'll start again at the beginning as the 'old' track & infrastructure will need updating  ;D

Judith it's Birmingham's equivalent to Scotlands Forth Bridge , by the time you've finished painting it, it's time to start over again
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2019, 11:29:18 PM »
Bham is closed as far as us older ones remember it.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

astoness

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2019, 06:04:34 AM »
Bham is closed as far as us older ones remember it.

cant disagree with that :( sometime in jan weather permitting i am hoping to get down to digbeth to take photos of every old building that is still standing because once they have started the redevelopment down there there may not be much left of it..one can only hope they dont need the site of the old crown pub to build a mc donalds because trust me nothing is safe once they get going >:(

RoyMcC

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2019, 07:26:27 AM »

cant disagree with that :( sometime in jan weather permitting i am hoping to get down to digbeth to take photos of every old building that is still standing because once they have started the redevelopment down there there may not be much left of it..one can only hope they dont need the site of the old crown pub to build a mc donalds because trust me nothing is safe once they get going >:(

And Bradford Street with its corner bars and light industry. Leave it alone.

Scipio

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2019, 08:21:15 PM »
And Bradford Street with its corner bars and light industry. Leave it alone.

Nice thought Roy , alas developers care little for sentiment . Just get the square or rectangular boxes built, just to enhance making Birminigham just one big cube
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »

I was in Brum last Saturday and wandered up to 'Rackhams' The 5th floor including the Restaurant is now shut but just looking around this lovely old shop it resembles the Marie Celeste HOF in Solihull is the same. Just wonder how much longer they can survive.Understand the Solihull shop was on the closure list but give a 12 month stay of execution but there is some query regarding the lease.
Yes, there has been in the news about potential other stores closing.  No specific places were mentioned, but I did wonder about Birmingham's.  I suppose, with any department store if there is any uncertainty over the lease of the premises, the independent sellers in there will just relocate to another place & if the owner can't find something else to bring in to attract visitors...

If HOF does go the we will have lost all the old department or similar stores. 

For me, the decline of Corporation Street - and indeed most of the rest of the city centre - began when the new Bull Ring opened.  Many of the big brand stores relocated there, and with all the car parking and the proximity to New Street & Moor Street stations I bet many visitors don't venture further than there (other than for a visit to Primark or M&S across the road).

Scipio

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2019, 08:29:33 PM »
Yes, there has been in the news about potential other stores closing.  No specific places were mentioned, but I did wonder about Birmingham's.  I suppose, with any department store if there is any uncertainty over the lease of the premises, the independent sellers in there will just relocate to another place & if the owner can't find something else to bring in to attract visitors...

If HOF does go the we will have lost all the old department or similar stores. 

For me, the decline of Corporation Street - and indeed most of the rest of the city centre - began when the new Bull Ring opened.  Many of the big brand stores relocated there, and with all the car parking and the proximity to New Street & Moor Street stations I bet many visitors don't venture further than there (other than for a visit to Primark or M&S across the road).

I read the original architects have been approahed and have plans for ne retail shops eateries etc in the old Rackham building
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2019, 12:33:26 PM »

I read the original architects have been approahed and have plans for ne retail shops eateries etc in the old Rackham building
I hope they find a use for it.

The City Centre is filled with eateries now - there seems to be more of them than retail shops - so they'll have to come up with something special to attract visitors.  I wouldn't be upset if they changed the use of some floors for office space, exhibitions or even apartments, as long as the building can stay in use.

Scipio

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2019, 08:31:39 PM »
I hope they find a use for it.

The City Centre is filled with eateries now - there seems to be more of them than retail shops - so they'll have to come up with something special to attract visitors.  I wouldn't be upset if they changed the use of some floors for office space, exhibitions or even apartments, as long as the building can stay in use.

Judith I did try to enter a link for you but not to be, original architects T P Bennett hope this helps

Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy