Author Topic: The Flat, Lodge Road, Hockley  (Read 13993 times)

astoness

Re: The Flat, Lodge Road, Hockley
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2018, 07:18:38 AM »
that has always been one of my favourite shots of key hill phil...the bulls head pub just out of shot on the right hand corner.. once a thriving community now look at it...dull..lifeless...souless :(

lyn

Peg Monkey

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2018, 09:04:19 AM »
Looking up Key Hill c1950.
There's a lot more to Key Hill than I remember (50s), apart from Nortons and The Bull I recall a chiippy half way up on the left. Is that Timms in the distance on the left with the sun shades?
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2018, 10:00:07 AM »
Do you remember Harry Greens warehouse at the top of the hill by the Post Office,My wife worked there for him.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2018, 10:09:05 AM »
Do you remember Harry Greens warehouse at the top of the hill by the Post Office,My wife worked there for him.
Sorry Ed, can't say that I do, my mother worked in a small presswork company top of Key Hill, I think the name was Clewley's - she lost most of her sight in one eye when a shard of metal hit her - she got £30 compensation, would have been £1000s now.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »
Woolworth's in the 50s - Woolworth's sold the top 20 hit parade records on the cheap - but they weren't by the original artists, I couldn't understand why anybody would by them.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
The Flat - Brummie Accent Epicentre?
Yesterday I had an Accent Duel with a cute new red-headed pharmacy assistant (from the midlands who lives in my Hampshire Town) she guessed I was from Edgbaston (actually Hockley) I guessed she was from West Bromwich (actually Dudley), too close to declare an outright winner, right?
Peg. 
P.S. When I eventually get to meet a Martian after we've said Hello - I know the next thing he is doing to say.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2018, 09:53:44 AM »
Peg,we bought the records from Woolworths because we could afford them,and they were the same music anyway.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2018, 10:03:09 AM »
Peg,we bought the records from Woolworths because we could afford them,and they were the same music anyway.
Completely understand Ed, but I still think e.g. a Beatle'[censored] can only be sung by the Beatles, but many must have agreed with you because Woolies were selling them for a good while.
Peg.
P.S. I'm not altering the censored word - nothing wrong with it, (I think censoring software is on verge of censoring IT).

Peg Monkey

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2018, 02:14:59 PM »
I suppose I was about 6 or 7 when I experienced my first taste of do-it-yourself, the project: a small cupboard with sliding doors, the nearest timber yard to where I lived in Heaton St was a small open fronted shop on Icknield St just around the corner from Pool's Furniture store, so after saving up my pocket money, and probably earnings from a few odd-jobs, I set of to purchase the materials, now we are talking about what could be 60-odd years ago so the details are a bit hazy, anyway I do recall the proprietor being helpful and I returned home with the parts ready-cut. Anyway to cut a long story short as much as I tried I could not put the thing together, eventually I went to play with my mate Georgie during which time I recounted my failure. Now Georgie was a year or 2 older than me and he fancied taking on the project in exchange for a few Dinky cars and I happily accepted his offer. I don't think I ever saw the finished item.
Peg.
P.S. Lack of success isn't failure, it's just a step closer to success. O0

Peg Monkey

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2018, 09:46:29 AM »
I mourn the death of Woolworth's - The branch on The Flat was the centre of my universe aged 0-10 when living in Heaton St 1949-59, it's where I got my Airfix plastic kits (2/- - 10p) and from those I progressed to balsa wood flying kits. Woolies did a number of things that were "own brand", I had a Hornby Model Railway and got my accessories from Norton's Toy Dept, Woolworth's had their own brand of model railways and it had a good range of items - in some cases they had accessories which were not available in the Horby range and they were much cheaper but less soundly made - can anyone remember the brand? I think it my have been Playcraft.
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2018, 11:11:53 PM »
Mom why me? - My question every Saturday morning during the 50s when I was asked to: go and get a nice breast of lamb about 4/- from the Co-Op Butchers (corner of Heaton St and Lodge Rd). (She felt awkward about asking for such a cheap cut of meat).
Peg.
P.S. As I got wiser I negotiated compensation in the form of an egg custard tart from Smiths Bakery. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy