Author Topic: Elkington Brothers, Balsall Heath.  (Read 980 times)

cocacolakid

Elkington Brothers, Balsall Heath.
« on: August 08, 2018, 04:27:50 PM »

Hi, I am hoping someone can tell me something about Elkington Brothers that were in Belgrave Rd, Balsall Heath  c1950s. What was the nature of their business, and whereabouts in Belgrave were they?   Thanks.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Spud

Re: Elkington Brothers, Balsall Heath.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 05:01:53 PM »
Just off the top of my head I believe that they were toolmakers and engineers and Google tells me that they are now in Baltimore Road Great Barr
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
Malc

Elkington Brothers were at 227 Belgrave Road between the Electric Tavern and Seymour Street. They were pattern makers.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 06:21:38 PM »

Thanks Spud & Phil for your response.  Phil, you say they were pattern makers, excuse my ignorance, but what exactly would they be making patterns for, any ideas?

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »
That could be difficult to answer  Malc  even if I did live local and must have passed there thousands of times. It could be woodwork patterns, it could be clothing patterns, but I think it was more than likely patterns for the toolmaking trade. I'll see if I can find out anything further.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 06:50:49 PM »
Malc

The Elkington Brothers in Great Barr which I should imagine are the same company are pattern and model makers for toolmaker and tooling industry.

I've included a map showing the location of 227 on Belgrave Road and also a photo of the premises. It would be the building with the white painted upper floor toward the middle of the photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 07:46:34 PM »

Thank you, Phil, that is great work, tells me all I needed to know.  Like you, I must have passed it most days of my life when I lived in River St. just around the corner off Seymour St. O0
                                                                                                                                                   Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy