Author Topic: Tommy Godwin, cyclist.  (Read 2210 times)

cocacolakid

Tommy Godwin, cyclist.
« on: August 14, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »
I am trying to find out if  the late racing cyclist Tommy Godwin, had a cycle shop in York Rd, Kings Heath, as well as the one in Silver St, Kings Heath? thanks.
                                                                                                                             Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Tommy Godwin, cyclist.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »
Malc

Roughly what date were you thinking about, all the photos and information I have seen only mention Silver Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 12:51:32 PM »
Malc

Are you sure it wasn't Kings Norton Cycles, they were at number 5 York Road for quite a while?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 03:30:06 PM »

Phil, thanks for that, I found some info that says Tommy Godwin had a shop in York Rd, but I only knew of the one in Silver St, as your pics show. I think there has been some confusion by the writer and they have got mixed up with the Kings Norton Cycle shop that you show in your last pic. Thanks Phil, another query sorted.
                                                                                                                                                            Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 03:55:41 PM »
Malc

As always, never take what I say as the last word I'm only an amateur dabbler in the history of Birmingham. All I can add is that why would Tommy want two shops within a short walk of each other, and Kings Norton Cycles was established in the 40's in York Road and Tommy Goodwin didn't open his shop until the mid 50's in Silver Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 06:06:46 PM »
Phil..
You have far better means than me to dredge up info, and I have no reason to doubt you. I agree about Tommy not needing two shops so close to each other, as I said, I was only aware of the one in Silver St. But just a question on Kings Norton Cycles, You say they were established in York Rd, Kings Heath In the 40s, did that mean that was their very first shop, or the first in Kings Heath, I took it to mean the first ever? I would have thought the first shop would have been in Kings Norton, going by the name? Did the info come from a trade book?  Thanks.
                                                                                                                                                Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 08:46:50 PM »
Malc

The information came from Kelly's Trade Directory for various years. It looks like the shop in York Road opened c1949 as the first entry was in 1950. There were also other shops at 1878 Pershore Road B30 this I would imagine would be the Kings Norton connection and there was one at Alcester Road B13 and this would have been Moseley I suppose.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »

Phil..

Thanks again for your help, the info is helpful & appreciated, as always.                                    Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy