Author Topic: Birmingham City Transport--Drivers/Conductors "DD" badges.  (Read 1670 times)

Keith c mace.

Birmingham City Transport--Drivers/Conductors "DD" badges.
« on: August 29, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »
My father was a bus driver during the war and I believe that I posses his "DD" badge which bears a number after the DD....He always said that the letters stood for "Dirty Dog"....Anyone have information that could help me to discover if this badge was his or perhaps another family member? Many thanks,KC.

Coastal

Re: Birmingham City Transport--Drivers/Conductors "DD" badges.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 11:57:16 PM »
The DD refers to the West Midlands, they were Red for drivers and Green for conductors, and I believe they were reissued after a holder died, and referred to as a dead man's badge.
Below is my old badge (newer versions were issued after deregulation)
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »
Thank you...My badge is red so it might be my dads---unlikely to be anyone elses really...Is there any way that I can verify this?....KC.

vamann

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »
It seems that all records of of Badge numbers were destroyed following deregulation and transfer of recocords to the DVLA.  My Badge number was DD52788 which was issued to me in 1966, following my move to the North East in 1975 my Badge had to be returned as a new(deadmans) badge beginning AA was issued by the North Eastern Traffic area.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 05:48:43 PM »

My badge bears the letters/numbers---"DD 20022"....And might have been issued during the war...KC.

vamann

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 09:13:54 AM »
Just out of interest most coach drivers wore their badges with the clip to the front even though this was against regulations, Bus drivers always wore them with the number displayed, which obviously points to Bus company control being far greater than most coach companies.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy