Author Topic: Oldfield Road Sparkbrook/Balsall Heath, corner shop  (Read 1783 times)

Alexander Rawlins

Oldfield Road Sparkbrook/Balsall Heath, corner shop
« on: September 04, 2018, 12:10:53 PM »
Hi all

This is a pic of the corner shop on Oldfield Road, year unknown.

Does anyone happen to know what this shop was. Was it a shoe shop or clothes shop by any chance?

Thanks

Alex

Alexander Rawlins

Re: Oldfield Road Sparkbrook/Balsall Heath, corner shop
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 01:38:31 PM »
Update. I have found an advert for the premises in the Birmingham Mail 1891. It was s shoe and dress shop.

Ladies and gentleman, contrary to all expectations may I please present to you my German gr gr grandparents, George and Eliza Mead!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »
Hi Alexander

I think you might be on the wrong track with this shop, having lived close by I remember in the 60's it was an electrical shop. Of course that was a long time after 1891, but the correct postal address of this shop was 74 Woodfield Road and in 1891 I'm not sure Woodfield Road had yet been built. The shop is still standing but it is now a private residence. What actually did this advert you found say.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Alexander Rawlins

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 03:19:32 PM »
Thanks Phil

Birmingham Mail, 2 June 1891

"SPARKBROOK (corner Oldfield Road) - shop, suitable shoe-maker or tobacconist; 8s. 6d. weekly."

George and ELiza Mead had a shop in Oldfield Road - George was a shoe-maker and ELiza a dressmaker.

If you look carefully you will see items of clothing, possibly shoes, and what look like adverts in the window.

The woman in the doorway is short - ELiza was 4'9" tall. The man behind her is about 6 inches taller with white hair - George was 5'4" tall and blond.

The Meads' shop was in Kelly's directory until 1907, when they moved to Tillingham Street.

I am as certain as I can be that this was thier shop between 1891 and 1907/

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 04:55:10 PM »
Alexander

Sorry to disappoint you, but the shop in the photo is as I suspected the wrong one, George Mead's shop was at 50 Oldfield Road which was on the left hand side of the road heading toward Ladypool Road it was the first building next to Oakfield Avenue and though the Avenue itself is still standing the shop is not. It seems to have disappeared from the map during the war years which could mean it was bombed.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Alexander Rawlins

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 06:17:47 PM »
Thanks

And yet I still think it coukd be their shop. Certainly the people in the pic match up with the biometric info I have on George and Eliza.

I am wondering if they lived at 50 Oldfield Road and ran their business fron here. They had 8 children and although people had far less space in those days this might have been a stretch too much.

Things I need to do:

1. Find Ordnance survey map showing exact location of 50 Oldfield

2. Look at 1901 census for Woodfield.

3. See if any pics of 50 Oldfield have survived

4. See if there are any rates records of lessees for 74 Woodfield.

I have discivered that Woodfield was constructed in 1888 so the dates match.

So far, therefore, case not proven.......

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 06:39:19 PM »
Alexander

50 Oldfield Road is listed as a shop, and neither of the shops on opposite corners of the junction of Oldfield Road at Woodfield Road is ever listed to a George Mead although they are listed to a few different names through the years and had a few different uses.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy