Author Topic: Whitmore Street  (Read 1605 times)

Dawn Seal

Whitmore Street
« on: September 27, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »
I was born at 62 Whitmore Street in 1955. My nan and grandad Porter lived next door at 63. I know my grandad worked at the Watt pub round the corner. My mom worked at Mussons Greengrocers in the same street. Mrs. Hollyoak had the little shop on the corner. I only have vague memories as we left in 1964, not sure if that was when the houses were knocked down? My mom also had a part time job at Rabones. I would love to see some photos of the houses. I remember the bus station that there are pictures of on here - the number 8 used to stop right opposite our house, and I would sometimes catch the bus on my own, (with my doll) and go round the circle and get off again opposite our house!  My dad lived in Tower Street Birmingham.  I am new to this site, but love the old Brum, hope anyone can help

Peg Monkey

Re: Whitmore Street
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 07:16:57 PM »
I was born at 62 Whitmore Street in 1955. My nan and grandad Porter lived next door at 63. I know my grandad worked at the Watt pub round the corner. My mom worked at Mussons Greengrocers in the same street. Mrs. Hollyoak had the little shop on the corner. I only have vague memories as we left in 1964, not sure if that was when the houses were knocked down? My mom also had a part time job at Rabones. I would love to see some photos of the houses. I remember the bus station that there are pictures of on here - the number 8 used to stop right opposite our house, and I would sometimes catch the bus on my own, (with my doll) and go round the circle and get off again opposite our house!  My dad lived in Tower Street Birmingham.  I am new to this site, but love the old Brum, hope anyone can help

Hi Dawn, welcome to The Forum. I was born in nearby Heaton St. and lived there until 1959, I remember vividly the buses from the depot on Whitmore St using Heaton St to test their brakes on their way to their routes, this took place every weekday evening at 4.00pm, they would roar up the road and screetch to a halt 4 or 5 times before leaving the road at the T junction with  Lodge Rd (The Flat). You may find this link interesting, it shows the bus depot in its earlier days as a tram depot, you will also find the map useful for a stroll around Hockley and beyond: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4952&lon=-1.9177&layers=168&b=6.
Which schools did you attend?
Regards,
Peg.
Credit: Astoness Lyn first brought this mapsite to my attention.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Dawn Seal

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »
Hi Peg, Thank you for the info. I went to Farm Street school - cant remember an awful lot about it other than one of the teachers, I think it was Mrs. Hume left to have a baby and my mom knitted a matinee coat for her!

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »
Hi Dawn,my wife was Brenda Wathen she lived at number 45 till 1960 her best mate was Hazell Hunter lived about 2 doors up were the houses had been bombed .There were some good photos on one of the threads of Whitmore St .If you can find them my wife's house is where the Morris Minor is parked outside. Best of Luck.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 08:07:50 PM »
Dawn the wife just said the Robinsons, do you remember them and Billy Robinson

Peg Monkey

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 09:56:52 PM »
Hi Peg, Thank you for the info. I went to Farm Street school - cant remember an awful lot about it other than one of the teachers, I think it was Mrs. Hume left to have a baby and my mom knitted a matinee coat for her!
I also went to Farm St School, 1954-60, if you haven't already checked it out, you'll find the school features on the Farm Street Thread.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

astoness

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 10:36:50 PM »
hello dawn and welcome from another farm st school girl O0 i will see if i have any photos of whitmore st for you and post them if i have i will also try and find the whitmore st thread which is on this forum although i cant seem to find a search box ...pretty sure i have just one of the watt pub named after james watt i believe

lyn

mikejee

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 11:30:20 PM »
I was looking for a search box the other day as well Lyn. Sure there used to be one

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 06:20:11 PM »
Hats happened to the search box,Roy & Phil

astoness

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 06:28:08 PM »
yes guys i was sure there was a search box..it could take forever without one trying to find a particular thread now

lyn

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy