Author Topic: Lozells Girls School  (Read 2740 times)

Peg Monkey

Lozells Girls School
« on: September 27, 2018, 09:48:55 PM »
Does anyone have any memories? My daily commute in the early 60s consisted of the 64 bus from Chester Rd, Erdington to Aston Cross where I changed to the Inner Circle 8, that took me to Harry Lucas School, Farm St. My route was close to Lozells Girls School (can't remember the exact bus stop) and from the upper deck I remember gazing down at a stream of green as girls left the bus and headed for school. What was the name of the road the school was on? And can anyone remember the design of the blazer badge?
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

astoness

Re: Lozells Girls School
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 07:35:56 AM »
peg pretty sure there was no uniform at lozells girls until at least 1968 and we were not obliged to wear one which most didnt because we knew the school would  shortly be demolished and parents said it would be a waste of money they could not afford...were you still travelling the no 8 then in 1968..there was a bus stop more or less outside the school

lyn

Peg Monkey

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 07:45:39 PM »
peg pretty sure there was no uniform at lozells girls until at least 1968 and we were not obliged to wear one which most didnt because we knew the school would  shortly be demolished and parents said it would be a waste of money they could not afford...were you still travelling the no 8 then in 1968..there was a bus stop more or less outside the school

lyn
Hi Lyn, I travelled the route every schoolday from January 1960 to July 1965 (upto July 1960 at Farm St School and Harry Lucas September 1960 on). Details of LGS seem relatively hard to find - I've tried to find its lifespan without success (having said that, my search attention span is about 10 seconds).
Is this LGS?: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.5026&lon=-1.9012&layers=168&b=6 (map date 1914)
Peg.
P.S. If I remember correctly none of your masterpieces survived............ :(

astoness

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:32:32 PM »
peg you have that map set on gower st school...the reason i asked was i wondered if you had the right school because you said that you used to see the green uniforms in the early 60s but as i said lozells girls did not issue uniforms until about 1968 and quite correct my pottery was a disaster ;D

Peg Monkey

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »
peg you have that map set on gower st school...the reason i asked was i wondered if you had the right school because you said that you used to see the green uniforms in the early 60s but as i said lozells girls did not issue uniforms until about 1968 and quite correct my pottery was a disaster ;D
Hi Lyn, quite possible I got the wrong school (my eyeballs were not on-line until about 10 o'clock in those days), can you locate LGS on the map?
Peg.
P.S. Looks like there was once a picture house on Lozells Rd, I don't remember that.

astoness

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 11:29:23 PM »
yes peg there was a picture house on lozells road and no you wont remember it as it was bombed during the war killing either the manager or an arp warden cant recall which now but he was the dad of a girl who was in our moms class at lozells girls school..will locate it on the map tomorrow and post it

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 10:35:15 AM »
The Lozells Picture House opened in 1911 at 56 Lozells Road, it was rebuilt in 1922 with increased seating. It was bombed on 28th of July 1942 when the manager Lionel Jennings who was on fire watch was killed.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 10:39:23 AM »
The Lozells Picture House opened in 1911 at 56 Lozells Road, it was rebuilt in 1922 with increased seating. It was bombed on 28th of July 1942 when the manager Lionel Jennings who was on fire watch was killed.
O0 O0 O0
Peg.

astoness

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »
and here is the map showing lozells school buildings...the longer one on lozells st was lozells senior girls the other 2 were i believe infants and juniors..the no 8 ran right along gerrard st over wheeler st and past LGS

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.5004&lon=-1.9066&layers=6&b=3

Peg Monkey

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »
and here is the map showing lozells school buildings...the longer one on lozells st was lozells senior girls the other 2 were i believe infants and juniors..the no 8 ran right along gerrard st over wheeler st and past LGS

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.5004&lon=-1.9066&layers=6&b=3
O0 O0 O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 09:42:17 AM »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy