Author Topic: Key Hill Cemetery  (Read 1075 times)

Peg Monkey

Key Hill Cemetery
« on: September 30, 2018, 10:30:11 AM »
This is not the first thread for this important Birmingham Landmark but I believe the original has disappeared into obscurity due, possibly, to a spelling mistake, anyway whatever the reason as a Brummie borne only a stone's throw away in 1949 I felt it was my duty to resurrect such an important Hockley Location.
The Cemetery opened on 23 May 1836 and was originally known as The Birmingham General Cemetery, it is the oldest cemetery in Birmingham not located in a churchyard - for good reason: it is a non-denominational (non-conformist) buriel ground, created by local Architect Charles Edge from an exhausted sand quarry (I believe). Many famous Brummies rest there including the Chamberlains, it contains 46 Commonwealth Service War Graves: 38: WW1 and 8: WW2. I don't remember seeing them but the cemetery has catacombs. The main entrance to the cemetery is on Icknield St with another on Key Hill.
My grandfather became a resident in 1952 and my grandmother joined him in 1959.
The cemetery was closed to new residents in 1982.
This link will take you to a plan of the site c1914. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.4913&lon=-1.9140&layers=168&b=6
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

Re: Key Hill Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:21:13 AM »
I've read somewhere that the cemetery when it first opened had a leading edge conveyor system to transport new residents to their final resting place but frustratingly I can't find further details - anyone got any info'?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:29:32 AM »
Question for Moderator Phil - I'm asking this in open forum as it will be of interest to other Threaders - Am I breaching Forum Rules by providing a link to a related listing on Wikipedia (or similar non-competing, non-promotional info' site)?
Peg.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:53:40 AM »
Peg

It is generally accepted that we do not post links to commercial sites and sites that are just for advertising purpose, The site owner also frowns upon links that tend to send posters to other forum sites similar as this one and posts of that purpose.

However links to non commercial sites where information, and free help is offered are acceptable.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »
Peg

It is generally accepted that we do not post links to commercial sites and sites that are just for advertising purpose, The site owner also frowns upon links that tend to send posters to other forum sites similar as this one and posts of that purpose.

However links to non commercial sites where information, and free help is offered are acceptable.

Understood, Phil. Thanks O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 03:15:56 PM »
If you wish to find the resting place of a friend or relative the following link will help: https://www.birminghamburialrecords.co.uk/
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy