Author Topic: Ellen Street (Brookfields) School  (Read 1595 times)

Peg Monkey

Ellen Street (Brookfields) School
« on: October 01, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »
Ellen Street School - My schooling commenced age 5 when I attended the School from Sept 1954, that part of Hockley is called Brookfields and orginally that was the name of the school, I believe a school still occupies the site but I must admit I have not physically checked for sometime.
The school was about 15 mins walk from my home in Heaton Street but I only attended there for a few weeks before being moved to St Mary's in Handsworth, even that was for a short time before I was eventually placed at Farm St School, it seems the choice of my infant school depended on who was available to look after me - my mother worked full time.
 :(
Peg.
School location: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4897&lon=-1.9178&layers=168&b=6

It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

Re: Ellen Street (Brookfields) School
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »
Birmingham School Board - Below is a 1902 poster showing adult education classes run by The Birmingham School Board featuring Brookfields in the list of venues.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 05:48:07 PM »
Of the 3 main schools I went to in the 50s and 60s (Ellen St, Farm St and Harry Lucas)  the only one still standing is Ellen St, at least I think it is - I haven't physically checked lately.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:48:47 AM »
The thread's been resting for a while so here's a pub quiz style question to wake everyone up: What is the connection between Ellen St School and a Headmaster named Mr Chipping?  :-\ :-\ :-\
Peg.
P.S. Happy New Year.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 11:16:55 AM »
The thread's been resting for a while so here's a pub quiz style question to wake everyone up: What is the connection between Ellen St School and a Headmaster named Mr Chipping?  :-\ :-\ :-\
Peg.
P.S. Happy New Year.
The classic film drama set in a fictious Public School Goodbye, Mr Chips, centres around the headmaster, held in high regard, Mr Chipping. The film, originally made in 1939, starred Robert Donat and Greer Garson, the 1969 remake starred Peter O'Toole and Petula Clark and the 2002 version Martin Clunes and Victoria Hamilton.
All very interesting, I hear you say, but what's any of this got to do with the price of fish?  - The fictious school in the film in Brookfields, the original name of Ellen Street School.
Peg.
P.S. For anyone not familiar with the area: Brookfields is a district of Hockley, and borders Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 08:49:05 PM »
Ellen Street Primary School? Not anymore! It seems many changes have taken place since I started there aged 5 in 1954, although my stay was brief (just a matter of weeks) - the school was known as Ellen Street and that was its address; originally before that it was called Brookfields School and it has returned to that name, Hingeston Street - its current address - at least the school is still there, the other schools I went to in Hockley (Farm St and Harry Lucas) have long gone.
Peg.
P.S. My parents lived, initially, with my grandparents in Heaton St and then I arrived, my grandfather was a self-employed jeweller working from his Peg in our  front room.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 05:22:15 PM »

Peg Monkey

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 10:50:01 PM »
Ellen St was my first school (1954) but I only attended there for a matter of weeks and I remember little of that time (well it is getting on for 65 years ago) but one event I do remember clearly - a performance by Punch and Judy. It's the only occasion I have heard of this taking place in a school during normal  hours, I thought nothing of it at the time but simply to enjoy it, anyway, in an idle moment the other day (when I was out of sight of Mrs Peg Monkey, who can't understand how my Things to do List keeps getting lost) I pondered on who might have presented the performance, the obvious explanation is a travelling theatre company, but there is the possibility the Punch and Judy Theatre belonged to the school and the puppeteer was a teacher - the reality, of course, is the truth has long been shrouded by the sands of time: If you were a 25-year old teacher at the school when I started you would be aged 90 now, or thereabouts. :-\
That's the way to do it!
Never mind that you loser, where are the sausages I asked you to look after?!
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy