Author Topic: Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington  (Read 1553 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2019, 09:39:19 PM »
Peg,when i worked at Jonny Wrights  Cookers one of our mates lived in your flats.His name was Ernie  always wore a Mac,not to tall very slim with Brylcreamed hair had an infectious laugh,but good to work with.Just come to me his name was Ernie Robertson or Robinson.
Can't say I knew him Ed, if he had children I could have known them, but there were originally 7 tower blocks including Standleys (a retirement block), there's chance my dad knew him if his watering hole was The Cross keys! But he's not around to ask anymore :(
Peg

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »
Peg worked with him 1965-69,he would have been about 42-45 then.Nic bloke tho.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2019, 07:05:45 PM »
My family was re-homed to The Lyndhurst in 1960 when, I guess, it was about 80% complete: Burcombe and Standleys Towers were under construction but Rowden Hall and The Lyndhurst Pub were no more than glimmers in the planner's eye. The estate changed little during my time there until 1972 when I got married and moved out. An aeriel shot viewed today shows major changes since I left and it prompted me to record (see attachment) my memories of the estate as it was; notably the following have gone: Harlech and Burcombe Towers, Lyndhurst School, Rowden Hall and The Lyndhurst Pub.
It was not my intention to produce an architect's plan, moreover it was my attempt to record significant features (some of them now gone) for the sake of posterity, it's likely the sands of time will ultimately render the estate almost unrecognisable from it's beginnings.
If you spot an error or significant ommission let me know.
Peg.
Hint: the thread's zoom function will help bring up detail difficult to see.
P.S. The image above Banners Grove is unclear - 3 sledgers on the steep slope aside Harlech Tower, before that part of the estate was developed.
P.P.S. You'll find specific postings for the insets earlier on this thread: Lyndhurst School, the shops, childs feature slide and sledging O0