Author Topic: Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington  (Read 13568 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 11:19:27 PM »
We flew to Jersey in1960 ,55 mins
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »
Can we keep on topic please?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 02:42:54 PM »
It's a cold January day, 1960 when the removal van arrives at our house in Heaton St, Hockley and by mid-day our belongings are being unloaded outside the Lyndhurst tower block which is our new home. It's all very exciting - everything is new and it's a Friday so I've had a day off school - no more than that because the forthcoming Monday my mom, dad and me will start our daily commute, me and mom to Hockley and dad to the city.
Looking back it makes no sense at all that I chose to continue to go to school in Hockley......but I did until the end of my school years.
Ah well! Hindsight is an exact science! :-[
Peg.

It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »
With the exception of Standleys Tower (a retirement block on the North-west corner of the estate, near Chester Rd Station) the layout of the flats is similar in each tower,  the plan attached shows the flat me and my parents lived in. There were generally 6 flats on each floor, two like the plan and two the opposite hand, depending on which corner of the block you were, and two flats in the middle of a different layout.
Some blocks have either been demolished since I lived on the estate or there are plans so to do, originally the tower blocks starting at the norhern end of the estate were: Burcomb Tower, Kentmere Tower, Glendale Tower, Fairbourne Tower, Normanton Tower and, the tallest of all, Harlech Tower.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »
The kitchen window of our 6th floor flat faced the Sutton Rd in the direction of the city, needless to say the view was amazing, when we first moved in we would just sit and look out of the window, it was even more spectacular at night when the flashing beacon of Elmdon Airport could be clearly seen. The edge of the estate was lined with mature trees but we could still see over the top but as the years passed and the trees grew our view was not so good. From the lounge and bedroom windows you could see the temple on Barr Beacon.
Peg.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 03:57:48 PM »
Peg you mustn't talk about planes when your on about Lyndhurst it's changing the  topic

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 05:42:11 PM »
Peg you mustn't talk about planes when your on about Lyndhurst it's changing the  topic

No quoting flight the length of flight times to Jersey  on a topic about Erdington is going off topic.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 10:49:40 PM »

No quoting flight the length of flight times to Jersey  on a topic about Erdington is going off topic.

Just checking, Phil - so I've not been given a yellow card, right? I try to keep on topic - air traffic over the Lyndhurst in the 60s was very much a part of everyday life and I'm guessing more so now with increased flights to and from Birmingham Airport.
Peg.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 10:59:46 PM »

Just checking, Phil - so I've not been given a yellow card, right? I try to keep on topic - air traffic over the Lyndhurst in the 60s was very much a part of everyday life and I'm guessing more so now with increased flights to and from Birmingham Airport.
Peg.

Obviously mentioning planes flying over the towerblocks on Lyndhurst estate is not going off topic, but branching off into particular flights and times those flight took is.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 11:11:52 PM »
Peg, Phil seems to give me a yellow card what ever I do.Still I think I will survive O0

Peg Monkey

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 11:36:02 PM »

Obviously mentioning planes flying over the towerblocks on Lyndhurst estate is not going off topic, but branching off into particular flights and times those flight took is.
O0
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy