Author Topic: Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington  (Read 13564 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »
The Glider Part 2. The model is impressive, nearly 6ft wingspan in eye-cathing royal blue and white livery and I thread it carefully through the open window, careful to minimise the risk of premature launch, I take a quick look around - no-one in sight - and launch the model skyward.
My bedroom faced a large grassed area with a few scattered trees, the glider circled majestically a number of times as it caught thermals and turbelents - ever-present around the tower blocks. Radio controlled models can be brought down easily, mine wasn't - it should have been built with a dethermaliser to bring it down but I hadn't - in theory the model could have flown forever.
The glider continued to circle until it lost height and crashed into a willow and was wrecked.
Was I sad? No. I had been content to cast the glider's fate to the 4 winds.
Clearly I hadn't given much thought to the conseqences of my actions - along Beechmount Drive lived a number of police officers, had one of them seen my antics I could well have had my collar felt!  The charge? - Not sure, close to the air port- some Air Traffic Violation?!
Ah! Happy Days!
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »
3rd Sutton Coldfield Company The Boys' Brigade - when I moved to the Lyndhurst 1959 (aged 10) I made it my business to seek out the nearest company of The Boys' Brigade which was at Chester Rd Baptist Church, it was opposite the Pavillion at the junction of Chester Rd and Gravelley Lane, it was a cinema then but soon changed to a 10-pin bowling alley and now it is a housing estate.
When I joined the BB I was the only member from the Lyndhurst but I soon made many friends and they also joined - the number went up rapidly, soon into double figures.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2018, 07:09:22 PM »
The Sledge Part 2:(  (Part 1 on The Heaton St Thread).
Peg.
Link to Heaton St:
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14929.msg677036#msg677036

Peg Monkey

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 03:02:44 PM »
The Lyndhurst Pub - I remember residents being invited to submit their views on the Lyndurst Pub being built (It would have been around c1963?) my dad replied he was in favour of it providing it didn't impact negatively on the residents of the near-by nursing home (Normanhurst), anyway it got built and in the early years was an asset to the communnity - I enjoyed a number of pre-Christmas dinner drinks there (I held my stag night there) and there was a function room at the rear for wedding receptions etc, singles nights were also held there. Unfortunately it developed into a troublespot and was closed some years ago - I haven't passed-by for some years - I think the site was developed for housing.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »
Christmas 1961 - I was 12 and my mate (he lived in the same tower block, a couple of floors below me) had a microscope for Christmas, I was dead impressed, he let me use it and I bought my own when I had scraped enough Christmas money together, proceeds from carol singing helped.
Peg.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2018, 03:55:21 PM »
I worked behind the bar of the Lyndhurst Pub for a few months in 1964. I think the Manager was Gerry and it was while the M & B were on strike so their drinkers came over to the Lyndhurst, which was an Ansells pub. It was manic - I remember on one occasion, looking at a huge queue of customers waving glasses wanting to be served.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2018, 08:52:49 PM »
I worked behind the bar of the Lyndhurst Pub for a few months in 1964. I think the Manager was Gerry and it was while the M & B were on strike so their drinkers came over to the Lyndhurst, which was an Ansells pub. It was manic - I remember on one occasion, looking at a huge queue of customers waving glasses wanting to be served.
Ansell's had a long running strike at the Aston Cross plant (not sure of the date, I'm guessing early 70s) but it led to the closure of the plant never to brew again, I think the ale then came from Burton on Trent, this link will take you to Ansell's on the Aston Cross Thread:
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15040.msg669228#msg669228
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 09:17:33 PM »
So, do the tower blocks create a micro-climate? One thing's for sure, the wind can certainly blow at ground level around their bases. I remember one occasion my mum and me were taking a short cut close to the base of our block and as soon as we rounded the corner she was nearly swept off her feet, fortunately she was holding onto my arm.
So what was air movement like at higher altitude? - I guess pilots of planes bound for Elmdon had to be wary.
Peg.
P.S. What flightpath did the planes take? - They got onto their approach no later than above Brownhills, over Streetly, then Sutton Park and then The Lyndhurst.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 11:38:30 PM »
If you add live in Easthope Rd the planes came overhead and the TV picture would vanish for a few seconds. In
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2019, 01:34:37 PM »
If you add live in Easthope Rd the planes came overhead and the TV picture would vanish for a few seconds. In
It certainly sounds like you are winning in the Aircraft Disruption Stakes, Ed. When my family moved to our tower block flat we had a dreadful TV picture but the planes weren't to blame, the tower blocks were constructed with a steel girder skeleton and that affected our TV picture - but the engineers corrected matters with an ariel upgrade.
Peg.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2019, 02:00:08 PM »
Peg,when i worked at Jonny Wrights  Cookers one of our mates lived in your flats.His name was Ernie  always wore a Mac,not to tall very slim with Brylcreamed hair had an infectious laugh,but good to work with.Just come to me his name was Ernie Robertson or Robinson.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy