Author Topic: Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington  (Read 13560 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2019, 09:39:19 PM »
Peg,when i worked at Jonny Wrights  Cookers one of our mates lived in your flats.His name was Ernie  always wore a Mac,not to tall very slim with Brylcreamed hair had an infectious laugh,but good to work with.Just come to me his name was Ernie Robertson or Robinson.
Can't say I knew him Ed, if he had children I could have known them, but there were originally 7 tower blocks including Standleys (a retirement block), there's chance my dad knew him if his watering hole was The Cross keys! But he's not around to ask anymore :(
Peg
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »
Peg worked with him 1965-69,he would have been about 42-45 then.Nic bloke tho.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2019, 07:05:45 PM »
My family was re-homed to The Lyndhurst in 1960 when, I guess, it was about 80% complete: Burcombe and Standleys Towers were under construction but Rowden Hall and The Lyndhurst Pub were no more than glimmers in the planner's eye. The estate changed little during my time there until 1972 when I got married and moved out. An aeriel shot viewed today shows major changes since I left and it prompted me to record (see attachment) my memories of the estate as it was; notably the following have gone: Harlech and Burcombe Towers, Lyndhurst School, Rowden Hall and The Lyndhurst Pub.
It was not my intention to produce an architect's plan, moreover it was my attempt to record significant features (some of them now gone) for the sake of posterity, it's likely the sands of time will ultimately render the estate almost unrecognisable from it's beginnings.
If you spot an error or significant ommission let me know.
Peg.
Hint: the thread's zoom function will help bring up detail difficult to see.
P.S. The image above Banners Grove is unclear - 3 sledgers on the steep slope aside Harlech Tower, before that part of the estate was developed.
P.P.S. You'll find specific postings for the insets earlier on this thread: Lyndhurst School, the shops, childs feature slide and sledging O0

Peg Monkey

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2019, 09:41:26 PM »
2019 General Election - where will the Lyndhurst Polling Station be? - It was originally the school until replaced by Rowden Hall, - now both long gone, the pub assembly room might have sufficed but that's gone, the only possible suitable venue on the estate is the youth club? :-\
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all residents. O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2019, 09:51:44 AM »
My mom, dad and me were re-homed from Hockley to a Lyndhurst tower block in 1959 when I was 10, the school had not long opened and was very much at the centre of the community, various clubs met there including angling and the residents of my block held an annual party in the school hall, which also housed the ladies keep fit club, the ladies (suitably attired in skimpy tops and shorts) protected their modesty by applying large sheets of brown paper to the hall windows to about 6ft high, but there was a convenient tree........
Ah! Happy Days! O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2019, 03:34:21 PM »
Did you play for the Lyndhurst Football Team in the 60s? Based initially in the Lyndhurst School (Rowden Hall and The Lyndhurst Pub had not yet been built) the team played in a "Pub" league, I would have liked to have been part of the team but I was only about 12/13 and you needed to be in your high teens to stand a chance of being selected, I wasn't too disappointed, at the time I was captain of the nearby 3rd Sutton Coldfield Boys' Brigade A Team and then as time progressed I got in to works football as soon as I started work at Salisbury Transmission.
Peg. 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2019, 07:26:04 PM »
I was watching Heartbeat the other day and as you probably know they play a good selection of 60s hits and one in particular was very evocative of my time on The Lyndhurst in the early 60s when I was about 12, The singer was Susan Maughan (who I thought then was the perfect woman) and the song was Bobby's Girl (1962), it was a record they played at the Friday night youngsters disco held in The Lyndhurst School Hall.
It was a great night where all could attend - not just those attending the school.  O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »
Each tower block flat was originally equipped with an electric drying cupboard but this was expensive to run, my mom preferred to use the rooftop laundry drying area, summer and winter, getting the laundry in on a mid-winter's night was good Artic survival training.
Using the balconies to dry your washing was frowned upon, infact I think it was a condition of tenancy you didn't, neither could you keep a dog, but a cat was OK.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2020, 03:18:07 PM »
I lived in my parents Lyndhurst flat 1959-72, the 747 Jumbo took to the air Feb 69 but it was awhile after that before it was seen regularly, I never saw one fly over The Lyndhurst, Elmdon's runways at the time could not accommodate a Jumbo, 727s and 737s were commonplace.
Peg. 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2020, 10:57:35 PM »
I lived in my parents Lyndhurst flat 1959-72, the 747 Jumbo took to the air Feb 69 but it was awhile after that before it was seen regularly, I never saw one fly over The Lyndhurst, Elmdon's runways at the time could not accommodate a Jumbo, 727s and 737s were commonplace.
Peg.
Coronavirus: The only things flying over The Lyndhurst for a while will be birds.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2021, 09:39:19 PM »
Lyndhurst Estaters - where are you getting your jabs? The perfect place would have been Th Estate's very own village hall - Rowden Hall, built in the mid-60s (my best guess) it hosted many public services like a nursery, social events, clubs, now long gone, as is of course, the Lyndhurst Pub, Lyndhurst School, Burcomb Tower and Harlech Tower, see post #46.
My parents (I shouldn't wonder) still haunt the landings and stairwells of Kentmere Tower.
Peg 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy