Author Topic: Boys' Brigade - Birmingham Companies  (Read 21048 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Boys' Brigade - Birmingham Companies
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »
The first BB class I attended was Arts & Crafts, on a Friday Evening after Drill Parade, it was great fun as well as being informative - I did oil painting and photography, amongst other things, no exam but a certificate was awarded after each year of attendance, 3 certificates and you got the badge, I did a 4th year and got the advanced level (red felt disc behind the badge).
Peg.
P.S Many years later, whilst operating as a professional photographer, I was appointed Examiner for the Sutton Coldfield District Brownie Photoraphy Badge - Impressed? I thought you would be!
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2018, 11:42:53 PM »
The high point in every BB Company's calendar is undoubtedly its Annual Display, The 3rd Sutton's was always well-patronised by relatives and  friends of the members - a great Saturday Evening when the company showcased most, if not all, of its activities - my mother, bless her, never missed one, my father never attended one (The pull of the Cross Keys was too strong). I think it was always held early July - the end of the winter session, when the hard work of the lads was rewarded with their certificates and badges.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 01:34:39 AM »
I found the Wayfarer's Badge the most demanding of all due to the many and varied sections you had to show you had knowledge, whilst essentially it was all about observing the natural world the range was extremely wide. There are many sections I can't recall but I do remember: identification of common British birds, wild animals, mammals and insects, trees, leaves and wild flowers, meteorology, the stars, map-reading. I studied hard for the badge exam but still faced it with some trepidation, which turned out to be well-founded, the examiner was an officer from another company, and he was a stickler for accuracy. 3 of us took the exam, I got through but another lad had to do a re-take and another failed.
One good thing though, when you did get the badge you had a tremendous feeling of achievement.  O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 09:21:14 PM »
The first badge I got was for First Aid (1962), Wednesday evenings I think, run by a guy from St John's. The first year, if you passed the exam, you got a certificate the second the badge, you could go on for another 3 years then you got a red, blue and white felt disc to go behind the badge. First thing you learned when applying a sling was the importance of using the right knot - must be a Reef Knot (which wont come undone) all too easy to do a Granny Knot which will come loose - you could fail an exam on that alone. Thankfully my first aid training was never put to the test. In the company's Annual Display there was a really convincing First Aid demo - the fake wounds looked disturbingly realistic.
Peg.   

Peg Monkey

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »
3rd Sutton Coldfield Company 1960s - A church parade was held once a month (probably 1st Sunday) led by the band which had the basic range of instruments (side drums, bass drum and bugles) but still produced a great sound, I was a drummer for nearly all of my membership (1960-67). Some companies had a more extensive range of intruments (such as symbols and flourishing tenor drums (players with the wirling sticks)) and really posh companies had a mace bearer at the head of their column (I think the 1stA was such a company, at that time).
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2018, 10:30:54 PM »
Chester Road Baptist Church - Home of The 3rd Sutton Coldfield Company. When I joined in 1960 on the opposite side of the Chester Road was the elegant Pavillion Cinema, I saw the odd film there and then shortly after the building was closed to re-open as The Pavillion 10-pin Bowling Alley (they did a descent burger) which in turn secumbed to housing developers.
The company assembled for its monthly church parade in one of 2 places: junction of Sunnybank Rd and Boldmere Rd and junction of Goosemoor Lane and Gravelly lane. Both these assembly points were about 10mins march to the church, the parade set off about 10.45 arriving at the church just before the 11.00am service.
The link below will take you to a very useful map-site (1967 vintage) and if you have a mind to mark the company's parade routes: Go north from the church along Boldmere Rd, The Sunnynbank Rd junction is the 6th on the right. Go south along Gravelly Lane and the Goosemoor Lane junction is the 2nd on the right.
On odd occasions when the officers wanted to fly the flag after the chucrh service the parade headed for the Lyndhurst Estate and was dismissed on the playground of the Lyndhurst Infants and Junior School on Rowden Drive.
Peg.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.5373&lon=-1.8362&layers=170&b=6

Peg Monkey

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2018, 11:57:26 PM »
Scripture Knowledge - Church Parade took care of one Sunday in the month the other Sundays were Bibile Class, 10.15am-10.45am, this meant if you wanted to attend the  main church service at 11.00am you had time to get seated before it commenced. Attendance at the bible classes qualified you for entry into the Scripture Knowledge exam - if successful you got a certificate, 3 certificates and you got the badge.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2018, 07:19:49 PM »
The unsung heroes of my time in the 3rd Sutton were the small group of officers, friends and dads who, week after week, rain or shine, acted as taxi drivers for the company's football team, and the mums on the team shirt washing rota (mine included). Our home ground was Pype Hayes Park and the slope from side to side made the pitch almost unplayable. I was the team's captain for about 4 years and each year I pleaded to the company captain to find another home ground - it never happened.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2018, 07:33:25 PM »
BB Week - The week when the movement recharges its cash reserves, inviting donations from friends a relatives (not strangers), sometimes involving a good deed. The company ran a car-wash from the church grounds. I found the week very challenging - I've never found it easy asking for money, but there was no denying the importance of the week in the movement's calendar. Each member was given a card to record contributions: the date, amount and contributor's name. My dad and mum took it to their places of work, it was surprising how many contributions came from Mickey Mouse, Elvis Presley and the like.
My overall score was usually pretty modest compared with lads who were full members of the church, they accumulated a fortune from people they knew in the congregation.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »
Queen's Badge The BB's Highest Award - In August 1966 (my 6th year of membership) I gained the Queen's Badge - awarded on the basis of service, badges gained, good conduct and other criteria which escape me (it was 53 years ago).
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2018, 03:03:17 PM »
Duke of Edinburgh's Award - Gold. I was invited to attend an Award Reception at Buckingham Palace on 10 July 1967 when HRH Prince Philip presented me with his Gold Award. Despite a demanding schedule he still made time to chat with me about my DofE Award experience. It was a fantastic day, perfect weather, I was able to take 2 guests: my mum and the Captain of my BB Company.
 O0 O0 O0
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy