Author Topic: Boys' Brigade - Birmingham Companies  (Read 21058 times)

Peg Monkey

Boys' Brigade - Birmingham Companies
« on: October 10, 2018, 01:17:58 AM »
If you were associated with any Birmingham BB Company this is a good place to share your memories and images, and what better way to open a new Thread than with a brief reminder who founded the movement and its early beginings-only briefly, if you want to know more there are links below.
William Alexander Smith (1854-1916), a military man and Sunday School Teacher, driven by the plight of Glasgow youth, founded the movement on 4th October 1883, he was later knighted for services to children. The movement is church-based and its Christian beliefs are enshrined within The Object of The Boys' Brigade, anyone who would care to post it please do.  The organisation grew world-wide and The 1st Glasgow Company is still active. Links:
Sir William Alexander Smith:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Alexander_Smith_(Boys%27_Brigade)
The Boys' Brigade: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys%27_Brigade
I was a member - more about that later.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

frederick

Re: Boys' Brigade - Birmingham Companies
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »
I thought about joining the one on Moseley Rd when I was a youngster but never got round to it.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 05:59:25 PM »
Was only ever a Cub
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 08:40:11 PM »
I was a member of the 3rd Sutton Coldfield Company 1960-67, I can hear shouts of Off-Topic this thread is for Birmingham Companies - in my defence,the 3rd Sutton is affiliated to the Birmingham Battalion. I  was 11 and it wasn't long after my family was re-homed from Heaton St, Hockley to The Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington that I joined, this company is based at Chester Rd Baptist Church which was about 15mins walk from my tower block home. When living in Heaton St I was a member of the BB's Junior Reserve - The Life Boys (age range then I think was 7-11 then you moved upto the actual Boys' Brigade) this was at a church near Spring Hill Library - I can't remember the name but what I do remember is they had a superb band and they marched regulary along The Flat, Lodge Rd on Sunday afternoons - this inspired me to join.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 12:11:53 PM »
There was only a day or 2 in the week when I wasn't carrying out some form of BB activity, and my hardwork paid off in the form of badges, these led to the Queen's Badge, the BB's highest award, and both the Silver and Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. The badges below are old-style (probably made in The Jewellery Quarter) today they are mainly embroidered sew-on style.
Peg.
P.S. You'll notice only 6 x 1 year service badges, I was in 7 years, there was a minimum attendance to get one of these badges and one year I didn't make it. :(

Peg Monkey

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
The Birmingham Battalion occasionally held Sunday Parades in the city centre, this consisted of a parade, a church service and then a further parade, a big church was needed to take the numbers, I remember Central Hall and St Martins (Bull Ring) being used. The column was huge, big enough for an impressive band at either end and one in the middle (bandsmen coming from each company) without their sounds clashing. The city buildings provided great accoustics.
The shot below was taken 1938 (long before I joined - 1960), here's a thought: The youngest member of that column was 11, if my maths are correct, if it was you you're 91 now!
Peg.

frederick

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »
Is it still in exsistance. That sort of thing mite just stop some of the knife and gun deaths amongst youngsters.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Peg Monkey

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 06:47:58 PM »
Is it still in exsistance. That sort of thing mite just stop some of the knife and gun deaths amongst youngsters.
Yes, fred, according to Wikipedia current worldwide membership stands at 750,000 O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 04:59:44 PM »
Although I never entered, a competition was run each year (don't know if it's still the case) when members were invited to submit a design for the forthcoming annual membership card, I kept all my cards, shown below.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 06:31:19 AM »
Do you know why this poster was produced? There is a clear Birmingham connection, the date on the banner, 1883, is the year the BB was founded and there is a church lower right I recognise but I can't name, I can only date the poster to pre-1986, and what is the horse trampling on? - The forces of evil perhaps?
You might just be able to read The BB's Object at the bottom. Over to you.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 12:34:01 PM »
If any BB Company deserves a special mention on this Thread it has to be the oldest in Birmingham - The 1stA. The company started in 1913 based at Burbury St School and remained there until it moved to the nearby Peoples' Chapel in November 1967, by that time the school had become Harry Lucas Senior School, my school from 1960-65.
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy