Author Topic: Allcock St  (Read 3103 times)

Deritend

Allcock St
« on: October 14, 2018, 09:19:24 PM »
Has anyone know of a link to photos of Allcock St, Deritend from pre 1960.
Other than a poor photo of the Great Western Public House, I have been unable to find any.
TIA

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Allcock St
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:17:53 PM »
Hi Deritend

Welcome to the forum, yes there are not many photos of Allcock Street about. Is there anything in particular that you were looking for? In the meantime here are a couple of early images of Allcock Street the first one shows numbers 20-23 of the street frontage. The next one shows some back houses in number 2 court. I think they both date well before the 1960's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 03:15:21 AM »
phils pic one shows a hazy shot of the great western pub on the right corner with hack st ..here is a much clearer shot of the pub

lyn

Deritend

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 04:54:14 PM »
Thanks Phil, and Astoness.
The first photo is just how I remember it, with the house in between the school and the Pub.
We lived on the other side of the Street towards Liverpool St end at number 43, with Ransfords shop on the corner.
Probably too much to hope for a photo of "our end, but you never know.
Thanks again.

astoness

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »
hi deritend i will have a look for more photos...

lyn

Eric Ravenscroft

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 08:30:49 PM »
My name is Eric Ravenscroft,
I lived in Alcock street where I was born in 1948 to Father Albert and mother Iris Ravenscroft.

My Grandfather and Grandmother Charle and Nellie Reynolds  and their son Eric who was my uncle,my mother’s brother also lived close by or with us, I am not sure as I was about three years old when we left to move to Brays Road Sheldon and our sunshine flat.
I have a sister Patricia and a brother Barry both older than I.
I do remember some details from those early years, although some of those memories may have come from later heresay but I am sure of being outside the Great Western pub in my pram with my milk bottle full of milk with a teat on it and the plumes of smoke emanating from within to reveal my grandmother and other women shelling their peas etc for Sunday lunch.
I do remember but vaguely the shop Ransfords,and especially the bombed buildings which we used to play on. Other memories are the animals banging into our door as they passed, no doubt on their way to the slaughter houses. Arches,horse and carts,barrows were all commonplace then along with many other early memories, some as I said earlier possibly from later conversations.
If anyone remembers any of this or is otherwise interested please contact me.
Many Regards,
Eric Ravenscroft.

John Ravenscroft

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 01:58:33 PM »

Hi, Eric.

I think we may be related.

My name's John Ravenscroft, born in 1954, also lived in Brays Road until I was approx 8 years old.

My father was also John Ravenscroft, but generally known as Jack. He was married to a woman called Flossie Thickbroom (poor woman!) but divorced and married my mother (Phyllis Bulman) around 1950. 

Ring any bells?

My name is Eric Ravenscroft,
I lived in Alcock street where I was born in 1948 to Father Albert and mother Iris Ravenscroft.

My Grandfather and Grandmother Charle and Nellie Reynolds  and their son Eric who was my uncle,my mother’s brother also lived close by or with us, I am not sure as I was about three years old when we left to move to Brays Road Sheldon and our sunshine flat.
I have a sister Patricia and a brother Barry both older than I.
I do remember some details from those early years, although some of those memories may have come from later heresay but I am sure of being outside the Great Western pub in my pram with my milk bottle full of milk with a teat on it and the plumes of smoke emanating from within to reveal my grandmother and other women shelling their peas etc for Sunday lunch.
I do remember but vaguely the shop Ransfords,and especially the bombed buildings which we used to play on. Other memories are the animals banging into our door as they passed, no doubt on their way to the slaughter houses. Arches,horse and carts,barrows were all commonplace then along with many other early memories, some as I said earlier possibly from later conversations.
If anyone remembers any of this or is otherwise interested please contact me.
Many Regards,
Eric Ravenscroft.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy