Author Topic: Aston Cross  (Read 1578 times)

Tonyh

Re: Aston Cross
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 03:43:19 PM »
I used to work at the MEB in Rocky Lane.At Christmas we used to go for a drink at The Aston Cross pub and regularly used the library a few doors away.We caught the bus into town outside Woolworths(remember the wooden floors)The combination smells of Ansells,HP sauce and the gas works lingered all day.

lenbrum

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »
I Tonyh what year was this and did you live local

Tonyh

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 07:29:34 PM »
Hi lenbrum between 1964-1967 and then again between 1968-1970.No I didnít live local between 64-67 I lived in Sheldon and then moved to Rubery.everyday buses into town and out again.In those days buses ran every 5-10 mins.

mw0njm

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 08:23:20 PM »
I walked to school from Nechells to Frederick Road, Aston, up Park Road between HP and Ansells every morning for 5 years and never got used to those smells. There was a sort of toxic mixture of the two but could have one overpowering the other dependant on the wind direction. Great times though and as I left school in 1971 the area and route to school was changing as the Aston Expressway and Spaghetti Junction were under construction I think.
Was there a shop called Birds at Aston Cross?
Does anyone remember the chip shop just into Park Lane, my older brother and I would always call in walking home from watching the Villa armed with a transistor radio listening to Sports Report on Saturdays at least, each having a shillings worth of chips each to sustain us to have tea that Mom was cooking....happy times with great lasting memories.
yer i remember that chippie well...in the 60s....every sat i had to fetch the fish and chips from there.. there was a lot of chippies in aston at that time,but that won O0 ..
Regards pete