Author Topic: Aston Cross  (Read 2611 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Aston Cross
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 04:06:26 PM »
Is this the start of the stairway to Heaven.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

mike mancott

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2020, 05:15:13 PM »
Is this the start of the stairway to Heaven.
Doesn`t seem to go far enough, Ed. Could be "heaven" for some lady a bit desperate for a wee. ;)

Peg Monkey

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »
In William Dargue`s History of Birmingham, he notes that originally on this spot was a preaching cross. Were the steps in front of it for Preacher`s to stand on?
The cross was replaced by an ornate clock, which after it decayed the clock in the photo was erected.
That sounds like a strong possibility, Mike. I did wonder if the steps formed a permanent display for a street vendor, e.g. a flower seller, and if they might pre-date the construction of the loos on what might have been a small market area - all wild speculation, of course.
Peg.

mike mancott

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »
Another thought. Could the steps be Horse Mounting Steps? Old enough to pre-date the urinal and whatever else came later to be placed in the area.
There are images online, some of the same three steps and a larger top surface construction.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 01:14:35 PM »
Another thought. Could the steps be Horse Mounting Steps? Old enough to pre-date the urinal and whatever else came later to be placed in the area.
There are images online, some of the same three steps and a larger top surface construction.
Another strong possibility, Mike, if there was a horse trough maybe it was removed when the loos were constructed.
Peg.
P.S. I wonder why such a grand clock was placed on the island and who paid for it? - I'm ashamed to confess I should know - Aston Cross was where I changed buses (64 to Inner Circle Eight) on my daily commute for 5 years from The Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington to Harry Lucas, my senior school in Hockley.

mike mancott

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2020, 07:11:48 PM »
Another strong possibility, Mike, if there was a horse trough maybe it was removed when the loos were constructed.
Peg.
P.S. I wonder why such a grand clock was placed on the island and who paid for it? - I'm ashamed to confess I should know - Aston Cross was where I changed buses (64 to Inner Circle Eight) on my daily commute for 5 years from The Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington to Harry Lucas, my senior school in Hockley.

William Dargue writes about the clock in his History of Birmingham, "emblazoned with the Aston Board`s coat-of-arms and a plaque commemorating the gift of the new clock by Lewis Richards, the chairman of the Board."