Author Topic: Aston Cross  (Read 10844 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Aston Cross
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 02:46:08 PM »
The Royal George at the junction of Tower Road and Park Road was a M & B house, although I doubt that it started out in life as such. As both Ansells & M & B bought out so many smaller breweries as they expanded though I doubt it was ever an Ansells house.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 10:59:17 PM »
Great shot, Phil. Thompson's  - great pies, I was 3 years out of senior school in 1968 when this pic. was taken, so my daily commute from Erdington to Hockley via Aston Cross was well behind me O0
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 11:02:21 PM »
The number 2 tram terminated at the Yenton/Chester Road terminus, which was the city boundary with Sutton.
Thanks, Boz. Interestingly, if you check out the old map site using the link in my opening post the tramway then stopped short of Salford Bridge.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 11:16:30 PM »
The Royal George at the junction of Tower Road and Park Road was a M & B house, although I doubt that it started out in life as such. As both Ansells & M & B bought out so many smaller breweries as they expanded though I doubt it was ever an Ansells house.
There was another sizeable pub on the corner of Rocky Lane and Lichfield Rd (can't remember the name) it's shown on the map on the link in my opening post, The Royal George at that time is not marked as a "PH" - private dwellings presumably.
Peg.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 11:40:10 AM »
The pub on the corner of Lichfield Road and Rocky Lane was the Golden Cross, which was an Ansells house. I would imagine the reason the Royal George is not marked as a PH on the 892-1914 map is because at that time it was not a full public house and only a beer retailer and therefore would not be listed as a public house.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 01:47:01 PM »
Lets not forget the pub across the road from the Golden Cross, another Ansells House The Royal Exchange.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 01:54:26 PM »
The changing face of Aston Cross through the years, and I don't suppose they are finished yet.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 02:31:51 PM »
The pub on the corner of Lichfield Road and Rocky Lane was the Golden Cross, which was an Ansells house. I would imagine the reason the Royal George is not marked as a PH on the 892-1914 map is because at that time it was not a full public house and only a beer retailer and therefore would not be listed as a public house.
ATV/BRMB studios in the distance where I used to get off the 64 bus to get the inner circle 8, in Rocky Lane to Hockley. Road looks relatively traffic free, pic must have been taken on a Sunday. Leyland Maxi on the right - I never had one but I know it had its fans.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 02:35:40 PM »
The changing face of Aston Cross through the years, and I don't suppose they are finished yet.
The Clock is the only enduring feature, hopefully that will never be taken away.
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 03:07:24 PM »
I've just noticed the Theatre Royal on the old map linked in my opening post - looks like the building became the ATV Studios and then BRMB - in its day probably a similar venue to the Aston Hip? :-\
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 09:27:01 PM »
1960-65 Heading home from Harry Lucas School, Hockley to Erdington I lost count of how many times I was just about to get off the Inner Circle 8 in Rocky Lane only to see my next bus (64) just about to leave its bus stop by Ansells, reckless in the extreme I'm chilled to recall How I often boarded it, and it didn't end there, a risky exit from the open doors of buses was often the norm - thankfully modern day buses with their doors have consigned such dangerous antics to the past.
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy