Author Topic: Aston Cross  (Read 10834 times)

Tonyh

Re: Aston Cross
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 03:43:19 PM »
I used to work at the MEB in Rocky Lane.At Christmas we used to go for a drink at The Aston Cross pub and regularly used the library a few doors away.We caught the bus into town outside Woolworths(remember the wooden floors)The combination smells of Ansells,HP sauce and the gas works lingered all day.

lenbrum

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »
I Tonyh what year was this and did you live local

Tonyh

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 07:29:34 PM »
Hi lenbrum between 1964-1967 and then again between 1968-1970.No I didn’t live local between 64-67 I lived in Sheldon and then moved to Rubery.everyday buses into town and out again.In those days buses ran every 5-10 mins.

mw0njm

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 08:23:20 PM »
I walked to school from Nechells to Frederick Road, Aston, up Park Road between HP and Ansells every morning for 5 years and never got used to those smells. There was a sort of toxic mixture of the two but could have one overpowering the other dependant on the wind direction. Great times though and as I left school in 1971 the area and route to school was changing as the Aston Expressway and Spaghetti Junction were under construction I think.
Was there a shop called Birds at Aston Cross?
Does anyone remember the chip shop just into Park Lane, my older brother and I would always call in walking home from watching the Villa armed with a transistor radio listening to Sports Report on Saturdays at least, each having a shillings worth of chips each to sustain us to have tea that Mom was cooking....happy times with great lasting memories.
yer i remember that chippie well...in the 60s....every sat i had to fetch the fish and chips from there.. there was a lot of chippies in aston at that time,but that won O0 ..

Peg Monkey

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2020, 08:22:53 PM »
Does anyone know what the feature ringed in red on the attached pic is? They look like steps, but are they? Why would steps go up to the underground ladies loo? :-\
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Scipio

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 08:46:10 PM »
Does anyone know what the feature ringed in red on the attached pic is? They look like steps, but are they? Why would steps go up to the underground ladies loo? :-\
Peg.

Interesting question Peg , I'm almost certain I've seen a similar thing elsewhere in Brum , I've no idea why it's there though.
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

mike mancott

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2020, 09:47:59 AM »
I suppose when ladies need to go, they need to take steps to do something about it. ;D

mike mancott

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 09:56:15 AM »
In William Dargue`s History of Birmingham, he notes that originally on this spot was a preaching cross. Were the steps in front of it for Preacher`s to stand on?
The cross was replaced by an ornate clock, which after it decayed the clock in the photo was erected.

frederick

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
Could the steps be to stop rain water running down to the loo area.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Peg Monkey

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 02:35:45 PM »
Hi folks, here's an enlarged view of the subject under discussion, the shot was taken in April and now you can see there has been a snowfall, (April late for snow? I remember an Easter camping trip in Settle, Yorks, that had to be cut short due to a heavy snowfall.
Peg. 
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

mike mancott

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2020, 03:17:10 PM »
In William Dargue`s History of Birmingham, he notes that originally on this spot was a preaching cross. Were the steps in front of it for Preacher`s to stand on?
The cross was replaced by an ornate clock, which after it decayed the clock in the photo was erected.

From your enlarged photo, Peg, the top "step" looks larger, and more like a plinth or small platform area.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy