Author Topic: Aston Cross  (Read 10836 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Aston Cross
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 04:06:26 PM »
Is this the start of the stairway to Heaven.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

mike mancott

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2020, 05:15:13 PM »
Is this the start of the stairway to Heaven.
Doesn`t seem to go far enough, Ed. Could be "heaven" for some lady a bit desperate for a wee. ;)

Peg Monkey

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »
In William Dargue`s History of Birmingham, he notes that originally on this spot was a preaching cross. Were the steps in front of it for Preacher`s to stand on?
The cross was replaced by an ornate clock, which after it decayed the clock in the photo was erected.
That sounds like a strong possibility, Mike. I did wonder if the steps formed a permanent display for a street vendor, e.g. a flower seller, and if they might pre-date the construction of the loos on what might have been a small market area - all wild speculation, of course.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

mike mancott

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »
Another thought. Could the steps be Horse Mounting Steps? Old enough to pre-date the urinal and whatever else came later to be placed in the area.
There are images online, some of the same three steps and a larger top surface construction.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 01:14:35 PM »
Another thought. Could the steps be Horse Mounting Steps? Old enough to pre-date the urinal and whatever else came later to be placed in the area.
There are images online, some of the same three steps and a larger top surface construction.
Another strong possibility, Mike, if there was a horse trough maybe it was removed when the loos were constructed.
Peg.
P.S. I wonder why such a grand clock was placed on the island and who paid for it? - I'm ashamed to confess I should know - Aston Cross was where I changed buses (64 to Inner Circle Eight) on my daily commute for 5 years from The Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington to Harry Lucas, my senior school in Hockley.

mike mancott

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2020, 07:11:48 PM »
Another strong possibility, Mike, if there was a horse trough maybe it was removed when the loos were constructed.
Peg.
P.S. I wonder why such a grand clock was placed on the island and who paid for it? - I'm ashamed to confess I should know - Aston Cross was where I changed buses (64 to Inner Circle Eight) on my daily commute for 5 years from The Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington to Harry Lucas, my senior school in Hockley.

William Dargue writes about the clock in his History of Birmingham, "emblazoned with the Aston Board`s coat-of-arms and a plaque commemorating the gift of the new clock by Lewis Richards, the chairman of the Board."

Peg Monkey

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2020, 09:47:55 PM »
Does anyone know what the feature ringed in red on the attached pic is? They look like steps, but are they? Why would steps go up to the underground ladies loo? :-\
Peg.
According to Bargain Hunt presenter yesterday auctions were originally held outside - another possible use: Auctioneer's platform.
Peg.

mike mancott

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2020, 11:26:37 AM »
According to Bargain Hunt presenter yesterday auctions were originally held outside - another possible use: Auctioneer's platform.
Peg.
Peg,

An Auctioneer`s or a Preacher`s platform serves the means of both of those seeking to influence the public (he said cynically!).
I think it is probable that it was once the steps leading up to something which was on the wide top area, or plinth.
There is a short pillar on a plinth approached by three steps, at another place called Aston Cross, I think in Cheshire.
Mike

KHarwood

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2020, 09:55:15 AM »
Hi, just joined the forum, read some of your posts. Are you Colin Jennings?
Cheers
Kevin Harwood

Peg Monkey

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2020, 10:15:34 AM »
Hi, just joined the forum, read some of your posts. Are you Colin Jennings?
Cheers
Kevin Harwood
Hi Kev, welcome to The Forum, to whom is your question directed?
Peg
P.S. Some members prefer to keep their I.D. confidential, for my part I try to keep my pic out of The Police Gazette.

KHarwood

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2020, 07:48:36 PM »
Hi, just getting the hang of this, my post was for Colin27, but fully get the etiquette/anonymity  8) 
I have posted a couple of messages I think to Colin27 - I was really wondering where some old school photos from Cromwell St school had gone that he had posted - just no longer there??

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy