Author Topic: photos of Vincent street balsall Heath  (Read 1988 times)

Empson

Re: photos of Vincent street balsall Heath
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 08:08:28 AM »
John bardell

I bow to your venerable age. You obviously believe “Age is but a number!”

I was interested to read you remembered Mrs Tombs shop.
There was a paper shop on the opposite side of BH Road. Do you remember the name of the man that owned it. I remember the Lowes on the corner of Arter street but cannot remember the newspaper shop where I would occasionally get a comic and much later “ bangers” for bonfire night which were about a penny each as I remember.
Empson

Empson

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
John Bardell and all those interested in Bslsall Heath Roa

This afternoon the name of the newspaper shop opposite old Mrs Tombs was Jarvis s.  Another lovely old gentleman.

opentelemark

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 01:13:36 PM »

Hi,

Researching my grandfather's history, and it turn out he lived at 104 Vincent Street, Balsall Heath, in the late 40s and early 1950s.  He (Fred Keightley) was listed as a "Retired Greengrocer" at the time;  he was 65 in 1951.  He was living with Eliza Howells (nee Carpenter), daughter of George Carpenter, also listed as a greengrocer.  He married Eliza in 1951.

You mentioned a greengrocer close to 103 Vincent Street (below).  What year was that, please, and does anybody have and knowledge of the Carpenters or their greengrocer's shop.

Thanks,
Peter

The only people I remember from that end of the street, were the people that owned the greengrocers which would have been close to number 103  just past there were a mixed race couple with two very pretty teenage daughters, this would be when I was about 5 years old. A little further up were two families that lived next door to each other who I believe were related to each other called Harris & Collins. Then up past the church was a family called Hayes who's son was in my class at school and across te road by the shops you mention was a family called Dolphin who's son was also in my class.

I knew lots more people down my end of the street and also a lot of people in the new maisonettes and I also knew a few people who lived in Hampden Street, but of course I lost touch when I moved out of the area and later when they demolished the street.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »

opentelemark
hi and welcome to the forum  if you asking phil im sorry to say he is no longer with us he  past on a few months back     roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

opentelemark

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »

Thank you for letting me know, Roy. That's sad to hear.

The question was for anyone, really.  I just tagged it to Phil's post as he mentioned a greengrocer on Vincent Street.

Thanks,
Peter

opentelemark
hi and welcome to the forum  if you asking phil im sorry to say he is no longer with us he  past on a few months back     roy