Author Topic: photos of Vincent street balsall Heath  (Read 2774 times)

Empson

Re: photos of Vincent street balsall Heath
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 08:08:28 AM »
John bardell

I bow to your venerable age. You obviously believe “Age is but a number!”

I was interested to read you remembered Mrs Tombs shop.
There was a paper shop on the opposite side of BH Road. Do you remember the name of the man that owned it. I remember the Lowes on the corner of Arter street but cannot remember the newspaper shop where I would occasionally get a comic and much later “ bangers” for bonfire night which were about a penny each as I remember.
Empson

Empson

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
John Bardell and all those interested in Bslsall Heath Roa

This afternoon the name of the newspaper shop opposite old Mrs Tombs was Jarvis s.  Another lovely old gentleman.

opentelemark

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 01:13:36 PM »

Hi,

Researching my grandfather's history, and it turn out he lived at 104 Vincent Street, Balsall Heath, in the late 40s and early 1950s.  He (Fred Keightley) was listed as a "Retired Greengrocer" at the time;  he was 65 in 1951.  He was living with Eliza Howells (nee Carpenter), daughter of George Carpenter, also listed as a greengrocer.  He married Eliza in 1951.

You mentioned a greengrocer close to 103 Vincent Street (below).  What year was that, please, and does anybody have and knowledge of the Carpenters or their greengrocer's shop.

Thanks,
Peter

The only people I remember from that end of the street, were the people that owned the greengrocers which would have been close to number 103  just past there were a mixed race couple with two very pretty teenage daughters, this would be when I was about 5 years old. A little further up were two families that lived next door to each other who I believe were related to each other called Harris & Collins. Then up past the church was a family called Hayes who's son was in my class at school and across te road by the shops you mention was a family called Dolphin who's son was also in my class.

I knew lots more people down my end of the street and also a lot of people in the new maisonettes and I also knew a few people who lived in Hampden Street, but of course I lost touch when I moved out of the area and later when they demolished the street.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »

opentelemark
hi and welcome to the forum  if you asking phil im sorry to say he is no longer with us he  past on a few months back     roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

opentelemark

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »

Thank you for letting me know, Roy. That's sad to hear.

The question was for anyone, really.  I just tagged it to Phil's post as he mentioned a greengrocer on Vincent Street.

Thanks,
Peter

opentelemark
hi and welcome to the forum  if you asking phil im sorry to say he is no longer with us he  past on a few months back     roy

Kareneb

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 05:01:32 PM »
Hi , my Mum , now 87 used to live in Vincent Street. She recalls going to school in Vincent street and it being bombed in the war. She was the granddaughter of Nellie Jenks who ran a grocers shop. Do you remember her at all? Nellie also gas a daughter called Ivy -(my Mums' Mum). Any information or photos would be most helpful.