Author Topic: Christmas 2018  (Read 408 times)

astoness

Re: Christmas 2018
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 09:49:33 PM »
happy christmas to everyone on birmingham forum...have a good un O0

lyn

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 11:17:18 PM »
Hi Lyn,many thanks from Kent.Have a lovely one

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 12:06:45 AM »

and from the admin of the forum

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

sky1

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 06:18:17 AM »
Soooo! Excited  :) :) :)
Happy Christmas peeps ....may all your stockings be full  :) :) :) xx

Peg Monkey

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 10:21:48 AM »
Season Greetings to all ex-pupils of Harry Lucas Secondary School, I attended 1960-65 O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 03:34:20 AM »
Norton's Department Store, corner Key Hill and Icknield St - is it still there? Fabulous store, toy department was where I spent ús during the 50s, particularly at Christmas time, I've not been that way for decades, shows you how wealthy the area was to carry such a store - but there was also poverty not far away - many back-to-backs. Technically not on The Flat (Lodge Rd) I don't think many would dispute that as being the store's unofficial address. Must also mention Woolworth's toy counter - my second home at Christmas and other times when I lived in Heaton St, just a few minutes walk distant, the stiore now sadly long gone - nationally.  :-[
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »
Silent Night and the Spoons - Have you ever heard the Classic Carol Silent Night with spoons musical accompanyment? Well, it defies description but that was the signature number of me and my consorts when I was part of a carol singing trio late on in the 50s. Our target audience was the customers of the pubs around Hockley (more profitable than house to house carol singing).
The Trio comprised my elder cousin Ray, our business manager, Poor Jim, who was destitute, cross eyed and wore NHS wire-rimmed specs, and myself who could put a few notes together in the right order. The Trio's Maiden Gig was at The Duke of Cambridge, near the Lucas Gt King St factory.
We rarely got past the first line or two when donations flooded in, we shamefully exploited Jim's destitution to maximise our income. Poor Jim played his spoons with such gusto at the end of his performance he was bruised black and blue as he had used every part of his anatomy.
I never knew if our audience's generous contributions were byway of appreciation for our musical virtuocity or, as is more likely, a way of bringing it to a pemature end.
Peg
P.S. I first met Golden Spoons Jim a few weeks earlier when he tried to steel my bike.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 04:25:12 PM »
Lewis's at Christmas - a magical place, even more so if it included a visit to see Santa.
Peg.
P.S. To be fair Grey's also had a great toy dept., I think the store became Debenham's and then Toys R Us.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »
merry Christmas  im off to see his sister ho ho ho O0 O0 O0 ::) ::)

My wife's asked for a new outfit for Christmas, I've nailed it - does it come in a size or two larger? O0
Peg.
P.S. Note for Mrs Peg Monkey - only joking, dearest, size 8 - right?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 04:02:37 PM »

who am I at Christmas time

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Peg Monkey

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 04:41:12 PM »
Good effort, Roy. You might be interested in the Encyclopaedia Britannica Entry for the species, not sure if Zoology is off-topic here, but, following your lead and at the risk of another yellow card, for Forum Rule Violation, here goes, (anyway you will find mention of Christmas if you look carefully)....

Peg Monkey: n. Brit. Genus: Homo Sapiens, mischievous pre-school male infant. Distribution: widespread across the savannas of Hockley, particular concentrations on and around the vicinity of Old-style Jeweller's Workbenches (Pegs), diet: almost exclusively egg custard tarts, but has been known to exploit supplies of the related confectionary Belgian Tarts when in abundance, habits: forages during daylight hours, heightened levels of activity during the weeks immediately preceding Christmas and Birthday.

Wow! The things you can learn on The Forum, impressed - right? O0

Peg.