Author Topic: Christmas 2018  (Read 1817 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Christmas 2018
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 08:50:15 PM »
Ah, Christmas Day - a joyous time when families come together to enjoy each others company, exchange gifts and enjoy seasonal fare - what could possibly go wrong?...... :-\ :-\ :-\
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
As a child, one of the most memorable gifts I received from my parents at Christmas time was a junior carpentry kit - all working tools just small versions of the real thing, expertly made in Poland and featuring metric measuring devices. I was about 7 (1956) and just getting into go-cart construction, so the tools were exactly what I needed - one item has survived the 62 years hence - a pair of pliers still providing service. O0
Peg.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »
When we lived in Inkerman St my bedroom was in the attic.On Xmas morning in1946 I was 7 Father Xmas had bought me a Concertina.I proceeded to put my Hands in the straps and started to play as I got to the top of the stairs,Tripped and gambold down to the next floor still with my hands in the straps.Didnt play again all day. :'( :'( :'(

astoness

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 09:18:13 PM »
oh no edmund what rotten luck...i also had the attic sharing with my 2 sisters and one of my brothers...we used to listen out for rustle of santa climbing the 2 flights with sacks...wait until he was out of ear shot and use a torch to open our pressies without mom and dad noticing....happy days O0

lyn

Peg Monkey

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »
When we lived in Inkerman St my bedroom was in the attic.On Xmas morning in1946 I was 7 Father Xmas had bought me a Concertina.I proceeded to put my Hands in the straps and started to play as I got to the top of the stairs,Tripped and gambold down to the next floor still with my hands in the straps.Didnt play again all day. :'( :'( :'(
Crikey Ed! Sounds like you came close to savouring the Christmas Fare at Dudley Rd :(
Peg.
P.S. Can you remember what you were playing at the time? (Stairway To Heaven, perhaps? - Led Zeppelin - 1971)

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »
Peg,that was the first time I'd played one.But coming from an Italian family I later played the Accordian from when I was 9,taught by the great Jiacomo Tamburro O0

Peg Monkey

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 02:32:26 PM »
Peg,that was the first time I'd played one.But coming from an Italian family I later played the Accordian from when I was 9,taught by the great Jiacomo Tamburro O0
Impressive, Ed, accordianists always impress me having to do 3 things at the same time (only beaten by organists: 4 things) and read the (Christmas) music.
Peg.
P.S. Did you see what I did there, to stay on topic? - No yellow card for me today - right?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 03:49:48 PM »
Think you've had the yellow card long enough now PEG.We all get near them.At 9 years of age it seemed so heavy to carry onto the tram from Ashted Row to Dale End,then the bus from Glebe Farm.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2018, 10:59:35 AM »
Christmas 1969 - went a bit flat for me after work celebrations had finished, I didn't manage to arrange to meet up with any of my mates on the evenings of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but I had got something in place for New Year's Eve with my mate John. We arrived at Le Metro (do you remember it? In one of the arches below Snow Hill Station, off Livery St.) just before 9.00pm and couldn't get in - it was full, and that's when fate intervened - we didn't have a Plan B but we ended up at the Top Rank, you could always get in there.
And that's when I met the love of my life - Mrs Peg Monkey, so if Le Metro had not been full things would have turned out a lot different - funny old world- right? O0
Peg.
P.S. Bit of license with the attachment, folks - I don't actually remember the Top Rank throwing any fancy dress parties.

Coastal

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2018, 09:42:43 PM »
Well there's a good chance that Christmas 2018 will be pretty much the same as they have been for a good few years now, very quiet and a little bit boring, recorded telly progs to the rescue  O0
📷 My photos on Flickr 📷 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

Silence is golden ..... and almost impossible to obtain.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 01:39:37 PM »
Don't get over indulging at Xmas Coastal remember it took a long time to get it of,but all the same enjoy it and all the best for the New Year O0