Author Topic: The old windmill at Windmill Road.  (Read 223 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: The old windmill at Windmill Road.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 03:49:07 PM »
A couple more images of the old Windmill at Yardley Wood one from Windmill Road and the other from the Millpool. It's worth noting that even given the close proximity of the millpool to the windmill one had nothing to do with the other. The millpool actually belonged to the Priory Mill that once stood roughly in the area where the block of flats stand on what today is Brompton Pool Road.
Make Love Not War

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 04:11:17 PM »

and the bottom photo of phills may have looked like this in its day with a bit of colour

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Keith c mace.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »
I can remember being able to ride my sledge from the top of that hill down onto the frozen millpool.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 01:52:55 PM »
The millers house which faced the mill still stands,(Or it did last time I passed by)...Any photographs of it?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 04:05:28 PM »
Keith

If you mean Windmill Cottage at 18 Windmill Road it wasn't built until the Windmill went out of use. As can be seen from the 1890 attached map at that date the windmill is clearly marked "disused" and there is no sign of the cottage.
Make Love Not War

Des Gardner

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »
I remember the old windmill near to Windmill Road,Aqueduct Road, Priory Rd, I should do me and a friend played the wag from school to watch it being demolished If I remember right they used explosives in the base.....and yes it did go off with a bang, the nearest road to that mill is called Coton Grove.....it could have been in 1956-57....

Keith c mace.

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »
That's right Des....They first tried to pull it down using a steel wire rope passed through the doorway and a hole they'd made...When the tractor pulling the rope drove down the hill---The rope broke..The mill was made of tough stuff that's for sure...The dynamite was more successful sadly.It was shown on television later on the news.(Probably ITV).