Author Topic: The old windmill at Windmill Road.  (Read 6479 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The old windmill at Windmill Road.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 03:49:07 PM »
A couple more images of the old Windmill at Yardley Wood one from Windmill Road and the other from the Millpool. It's worth noting that even given the close proximity of the millpool to the windmill one had nothing to do with the other. The millpool actually belonged to the Priory Mill that once stood roughly in the area where the block of flats stand on what today is Brompton Pool Road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 04:11:17 PM »

and the bottom photo of phills may have looked like this in its day with a bit of colour

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Keith c mace.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »
I can remember being able to ride my sledge from the top of that hill down onto the frozen millpool.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 01:52:55 PM »
The millers house which faced the mill still stands,(Or it did last time I passed by)...Any photographs of it?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 04:05:28 PM »
Keith

If you mean Windmill Cottage at 18 Windmill Road it wasn't built until the Windmill went out of use. As can be seen from the 1890 attached map at that date the windmill is clearly marked "disused" and there is no sign of the cottage.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Des Gardner

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »
I remember the old windmill near to Windmill Road,Aqueduct Road, Priory Rd, I should do me and a friend played the wag from school to watch it being demolished If I remember right they used explosives in the base.....and yes it did go off with a bang, the nearest road to that mill is called Coton Grove.....it could have been in 1956-57....

Keith c mace.

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »
That's right Des....They first tried to pull it down using a steel wire rope passed through the doorway and a hole they'd made...When the tractor pulling the rope drove down the hill---The rope broke..The mill was made of tough stuff that's for sure...The dynamite was more successful sadly.It was shown on television later on the news.(Probably ITV).

spongemum

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 12:25:05 PM »
Hi long time since I have posted but chuffed to see these pictures many I've not seen before
I lived at Windmill Cottage between 1985 and 1995.
We rented initially then purchased the house from my OH's family who had i believe rented and used the windmill in the past.
Dick Lewis who lived a few doors up and was mayor had tried to prevent the demolition of the windmill back in the 1950s

I was friends with Mrs Robbins who lived in a little shack by the windmill where she had farmed for decades with her husband.She told me lots of stories, about my OH's family who lived at the Priory, the Germans using the millpond as a marker by it's reflection to start dropping bombs on Sparkhill. how you could pick watercress from the Yardley Wood brook and how there used to be cart loads of rubble and rubbish (sometimes human remains!) dumped where the Launde housing estate now stands after the bombing raids in the war. I know my friend had to have her garden soil replaced due to contamination when she first lived there!

I have very special memories at Windmill Cottage as we had our three children there. The first two were born at Sorrento Maternity Hospital and the third at home in the bedroom at the cottage just before Xmas.
We had a lovely big white dog (samoyed) who all the school children loved to say hello to at the gate on their way home.

I did not meet my OH until nearly 30 though we had both grown up a few roads apart, Paradise Lane and Doveridge Road! We actually met in Curzon St Station which had just been renovated and was being used for various government projects and although I had lived in London as a teen, then Worcester, Shrewsbury and Brum on and off we found we had both fished for sticklebacks in the Dingle down Scribers Lane!
Now our connection is our youngest son who lives in a flat in one of the Sentinels at Holloway Head, has a part time job at New st and is at university in Wolverhampton. He's second from the top floor so has a views to Bartley Green but I find it unnerving to be so high.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »
the wind mill just  a tad of colour

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Keith c mace.

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 01:51:21 PM »
Yes,I can remember the watercress in the brook which fed the millpool...Christal clear water from the spring nearby..

Terry D

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 12:47:02 PM »
Good grief!
Yet another topic where the memory banks have been tickled.
My parents were keen cyclists and as a small boy, we used to ride out from our home in School Road, Yardley Wood. This would have been 1950-54. We used to go along Aqueduct Road and I was disappointed that my father would not go faster through the water-splash. We would often return along High Street, Solihull Lodge, leaving the windmill on our right hand side. Sometimes we would drop in on our "posh" relatives. My uncle & aunt used to live on High Street in a big Victorian house whose garden ran all the way down to the canal. Later they sold up, made a packet and the house was demolished to make space for new housing, known as Lawford Grove.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy