Author Topic: New to the city  (Read 3743 times)

Mackie

New to the city
« on: December 03, 2018, 04:21:01 PM »
Hello all,

I am new to the city. Maybe someone can help me with an issue I'm having about something only apparently trivial: I live in an apartment building and, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to dispose of organic waste. I found blue and green bins in the basement that are, if my speculative skills don't fail me, used respectively for plastic/tins and paper recycling, but there's nothing for kitchen waste. I have tried consulting the various Council web sites, but apart from vague referrals to collection days, there's nothing that explains how it is done. So, pardon the curiosity, but what do you Brummies do with your kitchen waste?

Thank you so much,

Mackie

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: New to the city
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 06:48:32 PM »
Mackie

Surely there must a bin for ordinary household waste, in other words anything not recyclable, ask one of your neighbours what the procedure is?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mackie

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:42:45 PM »
Thank you for the reply, Phil. I will sure do that if I can't figure it out myself.

vamann

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »
I know that some parts of the country have kitchen waste recycle bins but we certainly don't here in Cornwall.  We can only put our food waste in with the General waste that isn't recyclable, presume the same where you are.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:07:08 AM »

hi mac well come to the forum we have a food waist bin  its called me  O0

but joking apart we only have two bins  no food waist bin  all I do is put the food waist out in the garden it soon goes  but im sure you will find out whats what   roy  O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

JudithM

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
Hello all,

I am new to the city. Maybe someone can help me with an issue I'm having about something only apparently trivial: I live in an apartment building and, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to dispose of organic waste. I found blue and green bins in the basement that are, if my speculative skills don't fail me, used respectively for plastic/tins and paper recycling, but there's nothing for kitchen waste. I have tried consulting the various Council web sites, but apart from vague referrals to collection days, there's nothing that explains how it is done. So, pardon the curiosity, but what do you Brummies do with your kitchen waste?

Thank you so much,

Mackie
Hi. For the past few years we have had to pay separately for organic waste collection here in the Birmingham area.  I don't know whether it applies to apartment blocks as well as individual residencies, but I have to pay a fee to have a 'green waste' bin - not all households do this so two bins are standard & free, you get a 3rd if you subscribe to the collection service.

Here's a link to the council side.  You can't order a bin at the moment as they don't start taking for 2019 until January. As it's an apartment block it may be that your landlord has to arrange this.

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20009/waste_and_recycling/91/garden_waste_collection
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 03:17:40 PM »
We're we live only garden waste goes in the Green Bin we pay for
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Spud

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »
Talking to the fount of all knowledge [The Wife] here in Birmingham we have 3 bins Grey Blue and Brown

Grey for Household Waste includes kitchen /Food Waste
Blue Recycling Paper Some Plastics Glass tins etc
Brown Garden Waste Grass Cuttings etc We have to pay separately for this one it is around £30 per annum

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

JudithM

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 01:04:45 PM »
We're we live only garden waste goes in the Green Bin we pay for
We can put some kitchen waste in ours - stuff like vegetable peelings & tea bags - but not cooked food leftovers.  The bin is labelled as Green Waste rather than just Garden Waste.

I suppose this is part of the problem with recycling in general.  Different local authorities have different rules as to what can & can't be recycled.  Should be the same across the board.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

vamann

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
Never realised that you couldn't put black plastic in the recycling as the scanners at the recycling plants don't recognise it.

Des Gardner

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »
Waste kitchen stuff goes in with domestic household rubbish in a black bag and sealed at the top when full, the council bin will be marked for this, garden refuse goes in the green bin which you have to pay for every year, you can put green kitchen waste in there too but not organic food such as meats, the recycle bin is for newspaper,cardboard, there should be a small basket at the top of the bin for this, the main hold of the bin is for tin cans certain types of plastic bottles ect.......do not put any plastic bags in the recycle bin as they will be left by the collectors, I hope this helps.....Welcome to our City.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy